IOP structure?

ShootingStar16

So I started a bit on my IOP and I was leaning more towards doing kind of a commentary when I'm comparing my two works (I'm comparing different thematic views on death). I was going to talk about one text, then the other and I'll summarize the comparisons at the end. Which type of IOP's score the highest generally? Would that be a more creative IOP or a more essay-like one? I'm just really bad with creative responses... 

Edited by ShootingStar16

So I started a bit on my IOP and I was leaning more towards doing kind of a commentary when I'm comparing my two works (I'm comparing different thematic views on death). I was going to talk about one text, then the other and I'll summarize the comparisons at the end. Which type of IOP's score the highest generally? Would that be a more creative IOP or a more essay-like one? I'm just really bad with creative responses... 

I haven't looked at any statistics regarding this so I'm not sure really. However, in my opinion, having a mixture of both types is the best way to get a good score on the IOP. A creative IOP gives you the ability to make your presentation more interesting and natural (as creative IOP also means that you'll less likely have to look at the paper all the time). On the other hand, a more essay-like one will make it easier for you to keep a good structure and will probably force you to go very deeply into the analysis. Hence I would suggest you to do both :)

Also one little tip: I don't think you should divide your presentation into two parts as you've just described. If you spend the first 5 minutes talking about only one book and then the next 5 minutes talking entirely about the other book, your presentation would sound very incoherent, thus destroying your purpose of doing a comparative presentation. So I'd suggest you to list down all the points of comparison. And for each point, talk about both of the books before moving to another point. In this way, it would look more like a comparative & coherent presentation. Other than that, I wish you good luck! :)

• Like 1

Remember the bulk of your marks come from how you interact with your audience. If you have a creative one people will be attracted to your presentation, they'll pay attention and you'll be able to interact best with them. If you have a boring one people will be sleeping and you will be awkwardly staring into the distance and lose marks. At my school, the people who did commentaries for their IOP involved them doing a lot of reading from a sheet of paper and not much interacting meaning there mark will be bad but some people doing strictly creative ones had little analytical support because they were doing like a soliloquy so obviously there marks were not great as well. I think you need to find the balance in-between to make a potentially boring speech interesting so you could include videos or sound effects or a Q&A with the audience or lead a discussion.

• Like 1