The Unbearable Lightness of Being - WL help

afern98

This is my current thesis for my WA: Tereza’s dreams are a journey from nightmare to resolution that allows her to reflect on her choices and accept her disposition towards heaviness.

I'm solid on most of my paragraphs, but I'm really struggling to figure out how to approach my second paragraph. The topic sentence is: The dreams lead Tereza to come to terms with her disposition towards heaviness.

I was thinking I could maybe go chronologically and start with when she isn't okay with her disposition towards heaviness and go from there. Does that sound reasonable? 

EDIT: I'm so sorry, being half asleep I wrote WL at the top but I actually mean WA

Edited by afern98

Do you have a title/question for your essay to be answering? I'm not familiar with your style of writing the essay with these topic sentence thingamybobs and special paragraphs, personally I think it's best if you just structure everything in the PEE format - point, example, explanation. What is the point you want to get across, give your examples that prove your point and then explain them further and how they prove your point. Your examples can be chronological if you want.

Also, don't feel constrained to just one paragraph - writing naturally usually turns out much better! If you need to break it up a bit because you're trying to talk about a transition through time, then do so. You can have a paragraph saying that at the beginning she's not come to terms with it, a paragraph showing that in the middle she's getting there and a paragraph from the end of the book which ties it all together and the point is that she's now sorted it and come to terms with things. Basically don't get hung up on the number or content of paragraphs, provided what you're doing reads okay and makes sense it honestly doesn't matter. I've not read this book for years and can't remember a thing about it, so if that's not quite correct then just ignore the details - it's more just that you should write in whatever way best and most strongly proves your points. There's no special paragraph/topic sentence formula to a good essay :P

Whichever way you understand it best is usually the way to explain it best. If you understand it as a transition that can be shown chronologically, write it like that. :yes:

Do you have a title/question for your essay to be answering? I'm not familiar with your style of writing the essay with these topic sentence thingamybobs and special paragraphs, personally I think it's best if you just structure everything in the PEE format - point, example, explanation. What is the point you want to get across, give your examples that prove your point and then explain them further and how they prove your point. Your examples can be chronological if you want.

Also, don't feel constrained to just one paragraph - writing naturally usually turns out much better! If you need to break it up a bit because you're trying to talk about a transition through time, then do so. You can have a paragraph saying that at the beginning she's not come to terms with it, a paragraph showing that in the middle she's getting there and a paragraph from the end of the book which ties it all together and the point is that she's now sorted it and come to terms with things. Basically don't get hung up on the number or content of paragraphs, provided what you're doing reads okay and makes sense it honestly doesn't matter. I've not read this book for years and can't remember a thing about it, so if that's not quite correct then just ignore the details - it's more just that you should write in whatever way best and most strongly proves your points. There's no special paragraph/topic sentence formula to a good essay :P

Whichever way you understand it best is usually the way to explain it best. If you understand it as a transition that can be shown chronologically, write it like that. :yes:

I've got my thesis, but we weren't really given a prompt apart from the guidelines of the IB assessment. I think while I have it organised in the topic sentence way right now I'm going to end up going down the PEE route, just because it feels more natural for this essay. I'm honestly not normally a big fan of the really formulaic essay structure, I've just got so used to having to write it that way since moving to the States! 

Thanks so much for your help :)