Women speak better than men?

Hey!

I'm writing an essay about vocabulary and I was just curious what you think about this. Can women speak in a more varied way or not?

Thanks in advance!

Are you asking whether women can have a broader vocabulary compared to men? if you are, then my answer would be a big NO. First, it's because that's just an appalling generalization. Secondly, there's really no reason why it should be so. The ability to use language has nothing whatsoever to do gender/biology. It only depends on how much a person is exposed to the language and how much the person is willing to use those vocabulary. And evidently, i have seen people (including both men & women) who are excellent at public speaking, for example Christopher Hitchens, or J.K.Rowling,..... just naming a few

Hey!

I'm writing an essay about vocabulary and I was just curious what you think about this. Can women speak in a more varied way or not?

Thanks in advance!

Are you asking whether women can have a broader vocabulary compared to men? if you are, then my answer would be a big NO. First, it's because that's just an appalling generalization. Secondly, there's really no reason why it should be so. The ability to use language has nothing whatsoever to do gender/biology. It only depends on how much a person is exposed to the language and how much the person is willing to use those vocabulary. And evidently, i have seen people (including both men & women) who are excellent at public speaking, for example Christopher Hitchens, or J.K.Rowling,..... just naming a few

Yeah I think my question was a bit vague. What I wanted to know was if women have a greater ability to use a varied language to communicate than men in a workplace. For example if a man and a woman has the same level of education, the woman usually have a broader vocabulary than the man. This is just a general hypothesis but this might be because women i.e read more. This has nothing to do with biology because a man can have a large vocabulary as well. This can all be debateable but I just wanted to know your opinion. 

Aslo if someone finds this offensive or something I'm sorry that was not the purpose of this thread.

I don't know if there's any evidence for this. I suppose if people read more then they're likely to have a bigger vocabulary. And if women read more than men, maybe it would correlate with women that way. I don't think it's really a gender issue as much as an issue of education - including reading as a form of education! :P

If you were going to stick this in an essay you'd need a reference to some actual study that's been done to prove a correlation with reading or a correlation with gender. I wouldn't write anything about this without that, because otherwise it's just some fact you've pulled out off the top of your head. Whether such a study exists i.e. whether there is any truth to what you're trying to say, I have no idea. I've certainly never heard of this fact.

• Like 1

Hey!

Thanks in advance!

Thats not the case as far as i know. It totally depends on the individual. I mean men and women are equally likely to lear various languages and have big vocabs. It just depends on the person.

For example, I have a decent vocab (not that you would know from reading my posts, but its true), and a lot of girls my age dont have it. At the same time, there a few girls I know whose vocabulary is so bloody huge they are like walking dictionaries. 

I may be wrong, though, so i recommend you run a google search, and check out some reliable studies.

• Like 1