IB Physics IA help

iggy_gim

Hello, I am new to these forums and so thank you for your help ahead of time!

My IB Physics SL teacher is kinds of lazy.  He gave us our first IA the other day and I am having trouble understand it.  Here are some questions that I have:

1. My teacher said that IB Physics IA is completely different from a Bio IA, so how is it different as my Bio teacher did a better job teaching us how to do an IA.  How is it different?

2. The sheet that he gave us (its about Topic 3: Thermal Physics) basically tells us that we will be graded on DCP and Conclusion/Eval and that i understand, but do I still have to do Design?

3. Lastly, the lab doesn't tell us what to test, it just says to determine the latent heat of fusion for water. Do we have to design an experiment around that idea of testing latent heat of fusion of water or do we just test the water's LH of fusion?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by iggy_gim
  • Like 1

1. I don't take Biology so I'm not sure of the differences, however the Physics IA is just a lab report, it's probably one of the easiest IA's to do well in IMO. 

2. Whether you have to do the design depends on how you want to do your IA, you have to submit 2 grades from each aspect being evaluated. (2 grades for design, 2 for DCP and 2 for Critical Evaluation). So you can get the grades for Design by purely designing an experiment and not actually carrying it out. Ask your teacher about this though.

3. That quite a specific question! Our question were a lot more general, like "Investigate an electrical property of a wire" so you're lucky. All you have to do is design an experiment to find the latent heat of water, and record the data, then process this data, come to a conclusion for the latent heat of water, then evaluate the accuracy of your results, and how your experiment could be improved. 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

1. OK, yeah it seems easier than Bio to me.

2. I don't quite understand what you are saying for this though, and unfortunately we are off for Thanksgiving in the states and our teacher is probably in the Bahamas for vacation. I don't have to submit Design for this lab just for DCP and Evaluation to be graded, so you are saying that I should still design an experiment for Design even though we don't need to carry it out?

3. Its not really a question... the sheet basically says how to test latent heat of fusion and tells us to compare the value to accepted value. What would I do for variables if I am just finding the latent heat?  What about saying something like how does the amount of ice melted affect latent heat?  

Again thanks for your hep and I'm sorry if I make no sense right now, I've been up since 11 PM finishing an English World Lit and I am quite tired...

2. Well to get the data, and process it you will need to perform an experiment, if you are only being graded on DCP + CE, then you dont have to include the design in the report.

I'm sorry for the poor explanation of the way your IA is graded, you should talk to your teacher about exactly what you have to submit once your back to school!

3. Well the Latent heat can be found if you graph Energy vs Mass. (Q=mL (+0); y=mx+c), So you're variables would be mass and energy. Latent heat is a constant in the equation, so the mass of ice used doesn't affect it.