What should I do to become better?

MajorProcrastinator

Hey, I just registered  so sorry if I'm posting this in a wrong topic (also i realised that I misspelled procrastination in my name)

This is my first year in the PreDP program, and to be honest I'm very disappointed. When I got into the PreDP program I wanted to have a 5 or a 6 in every subject there is, however it has resulted in a couple of 5's and everything else a 4 (nothing less). I feel very disappointed seeing those results since I always study a week before the test and go super-hardcore studying the last 3 days. But my friends who barely study always get straight 6's. I should mention that this is my first year talking English in every subject etc.

What am I doing wrong? Am I studying to much or just not studying in the correct things, are there any methods I should follow to become better?

Thank you

MajORProcastinatOR

Hey, I just registered  so sorry if I'm posting this in a wrong topic (also i realised that I misspelled procrastination in my name)

This is my first year in the PreDP program, and to be honest I'm very disappointed. When I got into the PreDP program I wanted to have a 5 or a 6 in every subject there is, however it has resulted in a couple of 5's and everything else a 4 (nothing less). I feel very disappointed seeing those results since I always study a week before the test and go super-hardcore studying the last 3 days. But my friends who barely study always get straight 6's. I should mention that this is my first year talking English in every subject etc.

What am I doing wrong? Am I studying to much or just not studying in the correct things, are there any methods I should follow to become better?

Thank you

Haha, welcome to IBS, Mr. Procrastinator :)

Now, i think you should calm down. You're just in pre-IB, there's nothing to worry about. Just take it easy, because you'll see that getting bad grades now is a lot better than getting bad grades during the actual IB program. In fact, this might be a good thing because it doesn't make you become too over-confident with yourself. I think I can safely say that the IB is tough for 99% of the all IB students, so you're not alone!

If you want to improve your grades, then i think that It's very important to avoid the study-for-exam attitudes. In other words, stop thinking about grades. Think about the knowledge that you will gain. Your goal shouldn't be "getting a 7", but to be more knowledgeable. If you fix your attitude, then there's really no need to cram or to do any "super-hardcore studying in the last 3 days", because cramming is really a byproduct of the study-for-exam attitudes.

You have lots of time to improve, so don't worry!

• Like 1

Thank you

Haha, welcome to IBS, Mr. Procrastinator :)

Now, i think you should calm down. You're just in pre-IB, there's nothing to worry about. Just take it easy, because you'll see that getting bad grades now is a lot better than getting bad grades during the actual IB program. In fact, this might be a good thing because it doesn't make you become too over-confident with yourself. I think I can safely say that the IB is tough for 99% of the all IB students, so you're not alone!

If you want to improve your grades, then i think that It's very important to avoid the study-for-exam attitudes. In other words, stop thinking about grades. Think about the knowledge that you will gain. Your goal shouldn't be "getting a 7", but to be more knowledgeable. If you fix your attitude, then there's really no need to cram or to do any "super-hardcore studying in the last 3 days", because cramming is really a byproduct of the study-for-exam attitudes.

You have lots of time to improve, so don't worry!

Thanks guys, before i've had pretty good grades but ever since i've started it's been going downhill, i'm probably just over-reacting but the thing is I get kind of "Jealous" of the people in my class who have all 5's and 6's. 

Another question, does the PreDP-Grades this term matter to take my choices, or is it the spring-grades that decide which subjects I can take?

Thanks guys, before i've had pretty good grades but ever since i've started it's been going downhill, i'm probably just over-reacting but the thing is I get kind of "Jealous" of the people in my class who have all 5's and 6's. 

Another question, does the PreDP-Grades this term matter to take my choices, or is it the spring-grades that decide which subjects I can take?

Well, it depends very much on your school. For example, in my school (and in most other schools that I know), students can take whatever subjects they like. However, to be sure, I suggest you ask your IB coordinator.

And there's no need to feel "jealous". Just wait till next year, and you'll see. They will be just like you :) Watch this talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN34FNbOKXc . The professor at my university showed us that right on the first day of school

Edited by Vioh