TOK Essay

lucygarbett

I have been set a summer assignment to do this TOK essay. I have no examples and no idea how to tackle this question... if anyone could help then that would be so awesome!

- can misleading the public be justified, as sometimes occurs in politics or advertising? Consider cases of international misinformation , or cases of the use of fallicious arguments, in these and other areas of knowledge such as science, the arts or history.

pleaseplease help its due in 2 days!!!

[quote name='lucygarbett' post='22638' date='Aug 25 2008, 08:12 AM']I have been set a summer assignment to do this TOK essay. I have no examples and no idea how to tackle this question... if anyone could help then that would be so awesome!

- can misleading the public be justified, as sometimes occurs in politics or advertising? Consider cases of international misinformation , or cases of the use of fallicious arguments, in these and other areas of knowledge such as science, the arts or history.

pleaseplease help its due in 2 days!!![/quote]

maybe you could bring in ways of knowing (language and perception) to start off your essay.... tackle "fallicious arguments" with ways of knowing (reason and language)...
for "cases of international misinformation" bring in history... maybe discuss how it is biase and bring in past history facts, prolly about how a leader mislead the public and cost civil war or something... idk... you should have started earlier. one thing i've learnt about TOK essays is that, they CANNOT be done last minute, because it is very hard to squeeze out 1500 words on ridiculous topics that require you to incorporate ways of knowing and areas of knowledge.. well, GOOD LUCK. GANBATTE!!

Misleading the public? How about the War in Iraq and the Search for Weapons of Mass Destruction? I think it's blatantly obvious how that one turned out. :bawling: With that said, Saddam Hussein [i]was[/i] removed from power so the question would be: was it worth it? You should be able to come up with an example that's more than a 2-second effort though. :lol:

Use a present example.

US President and all its members knew about the attack of Pearl Harbour, but they kept it a secret just so that its people would believe them and start a war.

Proof? US moved all its more precious and valuable aircrafts away from the harbour, only left less high tech and expensive ships there for the Japs to bomb.

Then again, research it. I think it is true because saw it on some debate paper...

Have you learned nothing in ToK Oryxy? You think it's true cause you saw it on some debate paper? c'mon (wo)man?! That'd be like me saying I believe everything I see/hear in Michael Moore documentaries or that I trust research published by prestigious universities. You used the fallacious argument, appeal to authority. Slap your ToK teacher :blum: .

Sorry, I gave up on truth a long time ago because of ToK :D .

Lucy, I recommend you watch some documentaries, particularly ones about the US media. Good free ones are Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land; The Future of Food and others I can't think of right now. Given that you had to turn it in yesterday this is probably useless but w/e.

Edited by blindpet