subject importance

Sassie

Hey!

I have just started my IB1 year. I want to apply to study veterinary science in the UK after graduating the IB. My subjects are HL biology, HL chemistry and HL english A, also SL history, SL Finnish and SL studies maths. 

My problem is that I want to change my HL english A, to HL english B. If I do decide to change it, will it affect me in the application process to university negatively by having a easier IB subject (english B). I really want to change this because I have a chance to get a 7 from english B but english A is not my strongest subject. I do not study in a anglophone country.

So the problem I have is. Higher points or higher quality subjects?

Veterinary science is a highly competitive field which makes me extra stressed!

Thank you in advance if you give your opinion! :)

Alright first I did a quick google search as to the top Veterinary medicine universities in the UK, just to get an idea - turns out Nottingham is on top. I looked at Cambridge too for good measure. 

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/veterinarymedicineandscience/veterinary-medicine-surgery.aspx

http://www.vet.cam.ac.uk/applications/howtoapply

While both mention having Chemistry and Biology as a requirement, with Cambridge also requiring math, there was literally no mention whatsoever regarding english language at IB.  

I suppose this indicates that taking HL English B instead of A is not really a problem. Plus you're Finnish so I doubt they'll hold it against you that you don't particularly want to take a course which often leaves even native english speakers without much of a response!

• Like 1