Three languages?

lovinpeople

Hello!

I’ve just started IB. In the future I plan to apply for Law at Oxford and other leading British universities. Currently my subjects are: Economics HL, English Language & Literature HL, History HL, Math Studies, Spanish Ab Initio and Biology SL, however I’d like to change Economics HL for Polish HL, as there aren’t any specific requirements regarding subjects.

Would it decrease my chances?

Hey there! 

Although I don't know Oxford's internal policies, I can say that, in general, it shouldn't matter. Unless the course on Oxford requires Economics and has listed it as a prerequisite subject (which they don't), Economics is not needed and can thus be changed to another subject. What really matters is your total IB score and your personal statement at UCAS. If you think you'll be able to achieve higher marks with Polish HL and would enjoy it more, go for it! 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

Okay, so regarding Maths, the Oxford website says:

Candidates are also expected to have at least a C grade in GCSE Mathematics, or other evidence to demonstrate that they are appropriately numerate. 

I don't personally know what the equivalent is for GCSE Mathematics in IB, but I'm pretty sure Maths Studies SL is fine, as long as you get a high overall score in it.

History and English A at HL tend to be good because you have to do essay writing, so they're good, and like alefal said, as long as you score well and, enjoy what you're doing, then it should be completely acceptable. Also, I've read quite a bit that your LNAT is taken into quite a bit of consideration, more than what subjects you're actually doing.

Pretty much, choose whatever subjects you think you'll score best in, work hard for both IB and the LNAT, and make your personal statement awesome and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

From what I've heard having four higher level's isn't preferable, especially if you have History and Biology HL which are both highly content and memorisation based. Also, unlike the US, I'm pretty sure UK doesn't care what HLs you do, unless there's a requirement, and will only look at the final score you'll receive.

Pretty much, I personally think, you shouldn't bother with putting yourself through the stress. If you know you're definitely going to do Law at Oxford, stick to Biology at SL. However, if you want to keep your options open, maybe take Biology HL and then take one of your Group 3, or your Language B at SL?

Of course, this is just my personal thoughts, and I haven't actually started the IB yet so I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I know that Biology HL is extremely hard and there's plenty to memorize but again, that really depends on a person - it could be easy for you. I think three HLs are going to take most of your free time because there are few people in my class who did that and they're already struggling even though it's just the beginning of the year.

I think the most important thing you should focus on is your overall score because that's what they're looking at the most. Biology HL is not really worth it if you're convinced about studying law. But when it comes to taking three languages, I think it's a really good idea and they would appreciate it while considering your application. I wanted to do that myself but my school doesn't offer other languages so you should take advantage of this opportunity!  :D

Edited by artisticsoul8
  • Like 1