HL Economics or Business & Management?

I'm conflicted on whether to take Economics or Business & Management at HL (I can't take both).

Could anyone outline the pros and cons of choosing one over the other? What are the primary differences between the courses? Which is relatively easier? Would Economics be an appropriate subject choice if considering Business for university?

• Like 1

Take Econ any day of the week. Econ is extremely interesting as you go deeper into the subject. Almost everything is related to economics in the real world. Politics, finance, math, history, crime, education, crime, religion, law all are subjects were economics can be applied. Taking economics at high school will give you a solid understanding of how markets and economies function. Its is also respected by colleges unlike business which is seen as a soft course by a few universities.

The only pro of taking business would be that it can help you if you plan to open a business after finishing high school. 

Yes Econ HL would be more than enough if you want to study business in university probably with Math HL (but if you want to do business, why did you take bio and chem hl?)

Edited by Knight
  • Like 4

Definitely take Economics even if you want to do Business at University.

Economics is more traditional than Business studies and many British universities (Good Ones) look at Business studies as a soft subject. Like Knight said, you'd get a better understanding of how markets work and the global economies function.

I'd say for a Business degree at university taking Math, Economics and English all at HL would be the best combination. A balance of practical, quantitative and qualitative needed for all those case studies you'll be analysing.

• Like 2

Take Econ any day of the week. Econ is extremely interesting as you go deeper into the subject. Almost everything is related to economics in the real world. Politics, finance, math, history, crime, education, crime, religion, law all are subjects were economics can be applied. Taking economics at high school will give you a solid understanding of how markets and economies function. Its is also respected by colleges unlike business which is seen as a soft course by a few universities.

The only pro of taking business would be that it can help you if you plan to open a business after finishing high school. 

Yes Econ HL would be more than enough if you want to study business in university probably with Math HL (but if you want to do business, why did you take bio and chem hl?)

Definitely take Economics even if you want to do Business at University.

Economics is more traditional than Business studies and many British universities (Good Ones) look at Business studies as a soft subject. Like Knight said, you'd get a better understanding of how markets work and the global economies function.

I'd say for a Business degree at university taking Math, Economics and English all at HL would be the best combination. A balance of practical, quantitative and qualitative needed for all those case studies you'll be analysing.

I'm taking Chemistry and Biology as I want to keep a future in science as a possibility. I feel as if Business or Economics at university would be my alternative career choices. I'm very grateful to both of you for replying which has made me lean towards taking Economics HL. I understand my subject choices are not best suited towards Business or Economics, but would I still have a chance at taking them at university with my current subject choices if I decide not to go down the science route?

Edited by AdamRA

Depends where you are applying to. 

In the US it does not really matter. Unless you decide to pick something like financial engineering or something that requires Advanced Calculus or something where they would require some additional math proficiency.

In the UK as far as i've researched usually the top universities require HL math for economics and most require it for Business as well ( LSE require a 6 for their management course). What are you looking to get into as your first choice?.

• Like 2

Depends where you are applying to. 

In the US it does not really matter. Unless you decide to pick something like financial engineering or something that requires Advanced Calculus or something where they would require some additional math proficiency.

In the UK as far as i've researched usually the top universities require HL math for economics and most require it for Business as well ( LSE require a 6 for their management course). What are you looking to get into as your first choice?.

Medicine would be my primary option but if that doesn't work out or I have a change of heart, Economics or Business are subjects I feel I'm also interested in.

Edited by AdamRA

I agree with lifeliver. If you want to study Economics in UK at a good university then you will have to take Math HL. It might be even useful to drop Economics to SL and leave the HL combination of: Biology, Chemistry and Math.

I don't know what the entry requirements are outside of the UK, though...

Edited by Sceptyczka

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from different universities that students can enroll in from countries such as US and UK, there are also some valuable opportunities that students looking to enroll in online MBA programs can avail in the Middle East region. Many students from the Gulf region can now easily enroll in MBA programs offered by different Dubai universities to initiate a better and progressive for themselves in times to come. 

Take economics! Economics is probably one of the strongest influences from separating a good businessman than any other. understanding how the market works and being able to interpret factors affecting the demand of your business helps greatly. Business comes with experience, but economics have laws that need to be learnt.

• Like 1