Oxford Law

Mathemagician

The Oxford website is the best place to check.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/law-jurisprudence

It pretty much says any subject but all of them at HL need to be 6's and in total, it has to be 38 in total, including the three bonus points (that's the general minimum for Oxford courses). My teacher told me that for law, English A Literature and History tend to be good for it.

Edited by Guest

The offer seems quite low, but Oxford are able to set it this low as the selection process is very tough. Most people who apply have a 40+ prediction. 

For law, they generally short list candidates for the interview based on LNAT and other things and then if you've gotten through to the interview phase they further filter out the candidates in order to make offers. Therefore, the offers are allowed to be 'low' because they've cut down so many candidates who've applied. 

(This is from what I've heard from the most recent graduating class at my school - a lot of people apply to Oxbridge)

It doesn't really matter what subjects you study for law, one person who graduated from my school did HL Chem, Physics and Maths and he's studying law at Oxford. So it really doesn't matter as both the humanities and science route provide useful skills applicable for law.

• Like 4

Well it depends what you are referring to extra-curriculars such as sports, singing drama etc. or the so-called 'super-curriculars'? As far as I know, extra-curriculars aren't regarded with as much importance by UK universities in general compared to US universities who place a very high importance on them.

'Super-curriculars' however are activities which complement and add to your academic application. So for Law you could probably do some sort of debating, mock trial etc. My school has a Law discussion society where we discuss legal issues in the news, or issues in the news and their relevance to the law/how they may influence the legal world etc., we also talk about certain well-known cases such as R v. Dudley & Stephens. If your school does have some sort of society/club like this I believe it'd be very helpful.

Otherwise, a lot of people do debating, public-speaking competitions. Some even do MUN (Model United Nations so you could do that if possible). There are also a lot of people who do work experiences in law firms/with barristers (Barristers are generally related to the UK) so there's that too. 

However, in your personal statement you could possibly make a lot of things applicable to law - like mentioning how certain things help you in developing transferrable skills e.g. learning to play a musical instrument has allowed me to exercise my dedication and determination towards perfecting something, a mentality which will be beneficial when taking on the academic study of something as rigorous and demanding as Law etc. something of the sort.

Hopefully this helps you in finding some activities to do!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I actually haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to. If I start now, do you think I could finish it in time, or is it too late? I just began IB this month.

You can do an accelerated Gold award in 18 months. That's what I did, as I'd only done Bronze before. You can do the normal Gold award in a shorter time, but for that you have to have done both Bronze and Silver. I think it was 18 months of one (or two) of the strands and 12 months of the other strand, plus a week long residential placement/big project, but you should double check that. Then obviously the practice and real expeditions.

D of E is actually very easy to achieve for IB students, the things they ask for are exactly the same as you should be doing anyway for CAS, you just have to keep going for longer. I didn't officially count more than the compulsory 150 (couldn't face the horror of writing that many reflections - my school required 1 reflection per 10 hours...) but I calculated that I could potentially have recorded something like 550 CAS hours just by doing my D of E activities! Plus the expeditions. I really enjoyed my expeditions, if you go with a good group of friends you'll have stories from it for years to come :yes:

I started mine at the beginning of IB and didn't receive my final award until 1st year of University - but you can still write it up on your Uni application. You get to go to St James's palace and shake the hand of somebody and get some kind of badge/pin thing. Or probably something alternative for international students! All in all it was a good experience.

• 2 weeks later...