English SL Written task thoughts?

Hey everyone.

So I've thought of a possible idea for my Written task 1 and I would appreciate any input or criticism.

I thought about writing an autobiography, or, rather, an excerpt from an autobiography, of a rap star, detailing the evolution of rap culture.

Any input at all, even if it's extremely critical, would be fantastic. 

Cheers!

Choosing to write an autobiography is going to be notoriously difficult. Not impossible, just very difficult for fulfilling the purposes of the WT1. And yet it is deceptively easy-sounding.

First, you will need to demonstrate a certain approach and style which will look and sound like an authentic "autobiography" -- not easy. Then, to really nail it, you would have to put it in the voice of that rap star. I have never heard of a generic autobiography. Each has a particular voice and style. You'll need to demonstrate your ability to do this. Your recognition of style and voice will partly emerge from your rationale.

There is another problem: your choice lends itself dangerously to an encyclopedia entry, or worse, a mix of personalised and encyclopedic. None of this really encourages a close, analytical discussion of rap or rap history. So I should be very careful if you decide to plump for this option.

Ideally, you should base your choice on a real or existing sample text. Your imitation of this (with your own variations) together with the written justification will demonstrate your knowledge and understanding for the topic and choice of genre. That is what the WT1 asks you to demonstrate.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone.

So I've thought of a possible idea for my Written task 1 and I would appreciate any input or criticism.

I thought about writing an autobiography, or, rather, an excerpt from an autobiography, of a rap star, detailing the evolution of rap culture.

Any input at all, even if it's extremely critical, would be fantastic. 

Cheers!

So how did you manage?

• Like 3