Why choose Literature over Language and Lit.?

Ex-I/GCSE student here about to join the Diploma Programme. I took English Language and English Literature in Year 11. Perhaps I have asked a hackneyed question but why should I choose Literature over Lang/Lit? (I chose Lang/Lit HL with my DP Coordinator)

If, say, I wanted to take Interational Relations in uni, which one should I take? How about majoring in History? Thank you

To be honest unless you're applying for English most Universities probably won't realise that you're doing L&L rather than Lit and count them similarly. Technically Lit is the 'harder' course but as I said, it makes little difference to outcome in terms of Uni applications. If you're applying to the UK they may see 'language' and realise (thanks to the existence of A Level English Language courses), but on the other hand 'literature' is still in the title of L&L so it depends on how informed they are. It's more up to you and how you were at GCSE level. 

It does not matter if you do Lit or Lang/Lit if you major in History. Although if you are planning to, universities would like you to do HL History and prefer you to do HL English Lit or Lang/Lit. Either way, it is your choice. 

I am planning to major in History, I chose Lang/Lit over Lit because from the HL Lit booklist in my school, I do not enjoy most of the novels we will be studying, on the other hand I am looking forward to the Lang/Lit booklist. I would rather be studying something I enjoy and get a higher mark in IB than to do a course that I would not enjoy.