Summer Advice

Marc Bellin

Hi there!

Im 17 and I just finished my IGCSEs exams. Did did all the standard ones. For university I want to go to Bath and study mechanical engineering and I have already chosen my subjects;

HL Maths

HL Physics

HL Economics

SL German

SL Eng Lit

SL Chemistry

My strongest subjects by far are physics and maths, and I am very passionate about both of them. I also love chemistry but I think doing chem HL would be too much. Everyone has been telling me how difficult and suicidal i am taking HL maths, but all the unis require it and I want to do it. Is there anything I can do prepare myself for the maths? I hope to get some A* in my igcses but i think i got it for maths and physics.  (results come in aug). Finally, I often found my self in an un organised state during my igcses... what tips could you give me for staying organised and getting the best results from my IB? 

Marc :)

You don't need chem for mechanical engineering :) it would be advantageous but as long as you have it at SL I think you'll be alright. My friend did the same combination as you for mech eng except did HL geography and he was fine.

To stay organised, just do you homework the day you get it. Put your notes in a file after you've done them in class to keep them safe and nice

Yo homie! I'm in the exact same position as you right now and I'm taking the exact same classes too except for German and Economics. I've bought all of my IB books already and I'm reading through the first couple chapters. I'm especially focusing on my math HL and chem SL textbooks (both the Pearson Edu books). This is probably the only way you can really prepare before the IB even starts. Going through the theory (not all of it ofc just the first three or so chapters) before hand saves you a lot of time during the school year, gets you ahead of your peers, and lets you have more time to focus on real past paper questions and other difficult questions your teacher might provide. This is pretty much all I've done to prepare so far. It's probably not much, but then again, summer vacation is for playing video games and relaxing. 

Regarding your organization question... I have no idea too. I just throw all my papers and notebooks into my bag and sort them out when necessary. 

If you want to do engineering and can't handle HL math, as in you're putting in the work and getting a tutor and making a legitimate attempt, then engineering isn't for you.

You don't need HL chem except for chemical engineering and materials science courses.

If you want to get ahead you can start going over and reviewing the "presumed knowledge" portion of the syllabus but I wouldn't. You have TWO YEARS to learn all this material. Relax. Enjoy your last free summer.

To get organized just use some sort of system that works. I use a spiral notebook for each subject to take notes in, have a big accordion-style folder for my loose papers and homework, and then do all of my homework in a big 5-subject notebook to keep everything together. I have a white board where I list upcoming exams and project dates as well as my homework, and make little to-do lists. This works for me, but find something that works for you.

To prepare for math, just get an HL math book and do the presumed knowledge section, and then maybe if you want, the first few chapters. Maturk is using the Pearson book, and I'm using the Cambridge book. Find a book you like (I'd personally recommend either Cambridge or Pearson, having both of them) and start maybe one or two chapters. 

Honestly, having done IGCSE math at the same time as you, I have to say that extended doesn't really cover squat. If you took additional math you're basically prepared with the presumed knowledge, but if you only did extended then you wouldn't have done logarithms or surds or permutations and combinations or a lot of the trigonometry parts that are in HL math. Learn up on those, and make sure your extended math knowledge is solid. 

With regard to staying organised, do your homework immediately, and religiously store all notes you make, and organize them or if necessary even rewrite them maybe once or twice a week/fortnight/month.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

if I was you i'd enjoy my last free summer^^ I did literally nothing in the summer before my first IB year and then was just watching out to be consistent with my studying and practicing. I can only say (once you start math HL): Past papers, past papers and even more past papers. It has done true wonders

• Like 1

Don't despair, Maths HL is not nearly as bad as some people like to say it is! Whilst I won't deny that it can be hard work - and it is a lot of work - passing, and indeed getting a good score, is definitely possible once you put in that effort and practice. As to how to deal with Maths HL, keeping up with class work, doing lots and lots and lots of consistent practice (of the textbook initially, then IB questions in semi-exam conditions) and getting help when you need it from teachers/friends is pretty much what you need to do. In the summer before, if I were you I would relax and chill, but covering the assumed knowledge stuff is a good idea. If you do want to go on to do engineering at Bath - pretty much anywhere in the UK actually - you will need Maths HL, and probably a 6 or 7 (a 6 at Bath). So stick with it if you're keen - if you're willing to put the effort in, Maths HL will be fine. Good luck. :)

• Like 1