Ab Initio Mandarin or HL Spanish?

Hey Guys,

I am going to start IB1 this coming September.

I have been studying in Canada since grade 7 in a boarding school and I am from Venezuela (so Spanish is my first language).

Unfortunately, my school does not offer Spanish A, but they do offer spanish HL. I am very interested in learning Mandarin since I been to China and had people taught me around 30 words and grammar before I even thought of taking Ab Initio Mandarin, I know the very basics and love learning the language. Since I want to apply for Engineering I have a really difficult IB course selection and I thought it would be easier to just do Spanish HL, get a 7, and change a harder course from HL to SL (Probably Land and Lit). I have heard that when you apply to University and see that you are a from a Spanish country and you are taking spanish they would take you as lazy and would not recognize the grade as much.

What do you guys think?

Well , I think It really depends on your purpose of doing IB .

If you are aiming to get into some top notch universities , doing Spanish HL would utterly be a wise choice ! ( Taking the advantage of being a Spanish native speaker .)  You can get 7 out of 7 with ease .. ( I am sure ) 

However , that would definitely be a waste of time !! You should make good use of the school's resources that provided !!! 

Sometimes you have to take some risks to accomplish something !! taking the easy way won't give you any benefit in the long run . You are gonna miss such a great opportunity to learn the language you are interested in , the language which might even lead you to a flourishing future ! ( maybe )   

I deem ab initio isn't that hard as well ,If you want to become a better person , who dare to take risk , dare to challenge yourself, I would highly recommend you to do Chinese ab initio instead of doing your native language .

but just make sure you put your effort in !!!  

hope it helps .

:D