Pre-IB Grade 9 Core French FSF1D7

tdawg

In my school the non IB French course is called FSF1D1, but in Grade 9 Pre-IB it's called FSF1D7. Can anyone tell me how french between both of these courses differ? From my understanding the Pre-IB courses, are just slightly harder than normal academic courses, is this true? What's your experience like doing the Pre-IB grade 9 french course? With my current french marks, will I be alright next year in French. My school recommends 75% in each subject, I'm currently averaging 71% in French. What is FSF1D7(Pre-IB grade 9) like?

In grade 8 French Term II these were my marks:

Reading: 70%

Oral Communication: 70%

Writing: 72%

Tips and thoughts. Thank you. 

Edited by tdawg

:blink: None of that stuff is about the IB so it's possible that nobody knows the answer. Unless they go to your school or happen to go to a school run like yours with mysterious code names for their French lessons.

Somebody may know :P But you might be better off asking somebody in the year above you. "Pre-IB" is something invented on an individual basis by US and Canadian schools, it's not an official set-up, so the way your school runs it isn't going to be the same as other american and canadian schools necessarily.

Also if you're not far off getting the right % in French then a bit more hard work and I'm sure you can make it. You're pretty close! 

Thanks Sandwich,

Good to know that Pre-IB is made on an individual school basis. But in all the Toronto schools, and possibly all IB schools in Canada, they use the same Pre-IB courses, possibly. Oh and these mysterious codes are what separate normal high school courses, to those of Pre-IB, so I was just wondering if anyone knew the difference.

This is my last year of "Pre-IB" and based on my experience, Pre-IB is just your standard academic course but with teachers that expect more from you. I have to say though, at least in my school, Grade 10 Pre IB french was challenging. 5 minute oral presentations, writing editorials and analyzing written pieces, etc.

Anything specific you want to know?

This is my last year of "Pre-IB" and based on my experience, Pre-IB is just your standard academic course but with teachers that expect more from you. I have to say though, at least in my school, Grade 10 Pre IB french was challenging. 5 minute oral presentations, writing editorials and analyzing written pieces, etc.

Specifically, how much homework did you have to do(hours) each night. In Pre-IB in Gr. 9 and 10? Just want to know what to expect next year.

Edited by tdawg

Specifically, how much homework did you have to do(hours) each night. In Pre-IB in Gr. 9 and 10? Just want to know what to expect next year.

I didn't have to do much to do well in grade 9 tbh. First semester of grade 10 was pretty good too, however second semester of this year I took 2 grade 11 courses (Functions and physics) so yeah that was pretty tough. I would say roughly 2 hours a day if you don't procrastinate, unless in grade 10 you take two grade 11 courses like me, in which case you'll be looking at about 4.

I didn't have to do much to do well in grade 9 tbh. First semester of grade 10 was pretty good too, however second semester of this year I took 2 grade 11 courses (Functions and physics) so yeah that was pretty tough. I would say roughly 2 hours a day if you don't procrastinate, unless in grade 10 you take two grade 11 courses like me, in which case you'll be looking at about 4.

Thanks,

In grade 8, I did about 2 hours at least of homework each night, and I didn't procrastinate. But many days it went up to 3 and 4 hours, of real work. And some days typically towards test dates, and large project due dates(procrastination time), I did about 5 hours, for many days at a time. Sometimes, I was forced to finished my work in the morning that it was due :hmmm:. In grade 10 I might take a coupe Gr. 11 courses.

Thanks,

In grade 8, I did about 2 hours at least of homework each night, and I didn't procrastinate. But many days it went up to 3 and 4 hours, of real work. And some days typically towards test dates, and large project due dates(procrastination time), I did about 5 hours, for many days at a time. Sometimes, I was forced to finished my work in the morning that it was due :hmmm:. In grade 10 I might take a coupe Gr. 11 courses.

I have to say though, that if it takes 5 hours for you to do hw in grade 8, coping with work in higher grades may prove a difficult feat. Make the changes now to save your life later lol :)

In Ontario schools, FSF1D1 is the code for Academic French. Our school uses FSF1DE (E is for 'enriched' French as a Second language). I've seen schools use FSF1DG and FSF1D7. Anyway, all courses with the FSF1D~ course code need to at least cover the same curriculum. This means your course has to cover at least the Ontario curriculum, and cover certain things outside of the scope. I haven't taken the FSF1D1 so a comparison between Academic French and Pre-IB French won't be possible unless you talk to your teachers. Personally, French was the easiest IB course that I have taken. I did no homework in elementary school. In high school, I did about 5-6 hours of French homework/studying PER semester, and I somehow pulled off 6 (80s and 90s) like the majority of my classmates who have similar if not worse study habits. 

As for my regular work load in Pre-IB, it would probably amount to a couple of hours for a homework per WEEK. Including studying and doing projects, I'd say 10~15 hours a week is ample time for school related work. For normal/lighter weeks, even 4~8 hours a week should suffice. I don't even consider myself to be a poor student, and I almost never do homework unless it's for marks/checked for completion. 

Difficulty-wise, grade 9 won't be tough because you are forced to take a lot of electives. Gym and art subjects should have minimal homework, so don't fret too much about high school; you'll do fine!