Is the TI-nspire CX CAS allowed on the math hl exam

Guest SNJERIN

• 1 month later...

No. As far as I know, the CAS calculator is banned from IB examinations. 

why not?

I think it is basically a computer - it does a lot of work for you that the IB want you to be able to do by hand. 

It is just the number of complex functions and stuff that it can easily take care of that makes it such a powerful device, and therefore it has been banned. 

• Like 1

why not?

I think it is basically a computer - it does a lot of work for you that the IB want you to be able to do by hand. 

It is just the number of complex functions and stuff that it can easily take care of that makes it such a powerful device, and therefore it has been banned. 

I bought the nspire cx, so if I'm going into engineering in college, do I need to get the CAS for its programming, or is CX good enough?

Edited by �雪飞

why not?

I bought the nspire cx, so if I'm going into engineering in college, do I need to get the CAS for its programming, or is CX good enough?

I'm guessing  is good enough, but that is based on 0 years of studying engineering at any level, let alone at college.

If you find that you need it at that time, than get it but as far as I am aware you will be hard-pressed to find situations where you constantly require the CAS - even to study engineering. I'm sure the CX can manage the calculator requirements, but I have no experience on that sorry mate. 

• Like 1