What subjects to study medicine at oxford?

Aishalol

Good morning!

I want to study medicine at oxford university in a couple of years. I'm currently 16 years old. I just received a letter home telling me that I got into IB and now I'm struggling with what subjects to choose for my upcoming 3 years. (Here in sweden IB is 3 years). I know that i can get a fullmark on the IB score because I graduated with the highest grades possible. Now I'm thinking of applying to oxford and therefore I will bust my behind of to make sure I get that spot. But I know that there are many more components that will determined your destiny of getting into oxford , personal statement, interview and what you do outside of studying. I'm thinking of volunteering to work at a hospital near by and help with old people at a retirement house. Here are the subjects I'm currently thinking of and yes I've been looking at their website but I still have no clue. I have been lokking at the oxford website but they are saying that i need to have HL math? I don't want to but if I must I will. 

HL
Chemistry
Biology
English

SL
Math
Swedish
Physics or phycology.

Thank youu soo much in advance!

PS. Is there anyone that currently is studying at oxford or have? Or is there anyone that is thinking of studying at medicine at oxford? Then please let me know what subjects you choose, which ones in HL and SL.

Edited by Aishalol

You need a 2 higher levels of either Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
So you can get accepted even if you do Maths Studies or ESS, as long as you do HL Biology and HL Chemistry for example.
So judging by your choices, they're fine :)
You just need to get a high score now to get accepted in Oxford, it's a very competitive and limited place! I suggest you place backup plans because there is a high chance you won't get it (not saying it's impossible, just not very likely). Therefore, it's better to be safe than sorry by putting your hopes up for Oxford.

You need a 2 higher levels of either Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.

So you can get accepted even if you do Maths Studies or ESS, as long as you do HL Biology and HL Chemistry for example.

So judging by your choices, they're fine :)

You just need to get a high score now to get accepted in Oxford, it's a very competitive and limited place! I suggest you place backup plans because there is a high chance you won't get it (not saying it's impossible, just not very likely). Therefore, it's better to be safe than sorry by putting your hopes up for Oxford.

This is accually really true! Yeah I know and it's because of that reason I'm not having my dreams up to high! But yeah I do have other goals but oxford is my like highest "dream" haha. My brother attends cambridge so that's why I have so big dreams but yet again thanks! 😊 and meee tooo we're on the same boat accually! Have the time of your life! #aimforthebest too 😂

Edited by Aishalol

Good morning!

I want to study medicine at oxford university in a couple of years. I'm currently 16 years old. I just received a letter home telling me that I got into IB and now I'm struggling with what subjects to choose for my upcoming 3 years. (Here in sweden IB is 3 years). I know that i can get a fullmark on the IB score because I graduated with the highest grades possible. Now I'm thinking of applying to oxford and therefore I will bust my behind of to make sure I get that spot. But I know that there are many more components that will determined your destiny of getting into oxford , personal statement, interview and what you do outside of studying. I'm thinking of volunteering to work at a hospital near by and help with old people at a retirement house. Here are the subjects I'm currently thinking of and yes I've been looking at their website but I still have no clue. I have been lokking at the oxford website but they are saying that i need to have HL math? I don't want to but if I must I will. 

HL

Chemistry

Biology

English

SL

Math

Swedish

Physics or phycology.

PS. Is there anyone that currently is studying at oxford or have? Or is there anyone that is thinking of studying at medicine at oxford? Then please let me know what subjects you choose, which ones in HL and SL.

You'll have to do psychology. You can't do 3 sciences unless you absolutely need them for university, and for Oxford you don't, so you have to do a Group 3. 

Good morning!

HL

Chemistry

Biology

English

SL

Math

Swedish

Physics or phycology.

You'll have to do psychology. You can't do 3 sciences unless you absolutely need them for university, and for Oxford you don't, so you have to do a Group 3.

Ahh thank you! But the thing is that I live in Sweden and if I now don't make it into oxford (😔) then my plan is to attend Swedens best university for medicine course which is located in the city that I'm currently living in. And the thing is that sweden is I think THE ONLY haha country that requires you to have ALL science subjects if you want to study medicine in the country. This sucks sooo bad and I feel soo unlucky but what can I do? Exactly, nothing. Soo I have to do them and suck it upp. And the IB school I will be starting soon offers that kind of offer. Yupp. I have to sleep now. It's 06.08 in the morning here sooo goood nightyyy! 💤💤🌇🌆

Good morning!

HL

Chemistry

Biology

English

SL

Math

Swedish

Physics or phycology.

Ahh thank you! But the thing is that I live in Sweden and if I now don't make it into oxford () then my plan is to attend Swedens best university for medicine course which is located in the city that I'm currently living in. And the thing is that sweden is I think THE ONLY haha country that requires you to have ALL science subjects if you want to study medicine in the country. This sucks sooo bad and I feel soo unlucky but what can I do? Exactly, nothing. Soo I have to do them and suck it upp. And the IB school I will be starting soon offers that kind of offer. Yupp. I have to sleep now. It's 06.08 in the morning here sooo goood nightyyy!

Then you'll have to do 7 subjects and do physics as an extra otherwise you won't be able to get an IB Diploma. I think the only waiver of group 3 is doing Maths and all three sciences at HL for Indian med schools. You won't get Oxford. They very rarely take students from abroad for medicine. You could apply for some of the other UK med schools have have excellent reputations; Imperial, Edinburgh, Glasgow, UCL, St Andrews, Dundee? Scottish ones you get for free if you're Swedish