How hard is English Lang&Lit HL for foreigners?

LuisDa

Well, here it goes. I'm starting IB this September at UWC and I have to choose my preliminary subjects for when I get there during the following two weeks. The thing is my hexagon is hard to make since I used to follow an Humanities itinerary back in the Spain education system and I wouldn't be able to handle Sciences or Maths groups at HL. Therefore I'm planning to take Theatre HL, Anthropology HL and English Lang&Lit HL (I think only Lit would be extremely hard, reading so many literary texts and books require certain control over the language and its lexicon). The matter here is that even picking up this last subject with Language and not only Lit, may be quite difficult for a non-native; I have spoken English just for 4 years now and I have no higher proficiency nor mastery in the language... I tend to repeat expressions so much and all that stuff when I talk.... haha

I know I would do great if I took it as my second language at HL, but that would not allow me to take French as my second language and besides, Spanish Lit is only self-taught SL at my College which I think it's not cool at all... I would end up by doing nothing at all, I guess. 

After a couple of paragraphs telling this new community my struggle to decide, I go with the inquiries... how hard is it? I mean, I don't need to get a 7, getting a 5 and taking it as first language would be way more enriching for me that getting a 7 with it as my second language. Do you think I'll succeed? What would you do?

Hope you can help and thank you so much in advance...! =)

Judging from your post your really shouldn't have a Problem with succeeding English L&L HL. Also, regarding that you'll do the IB at an UWC, taking this particular course may even be an Advantage for you e.g. to communicate with international students at your UWC, but also to improve your English through a more literary Approach of the language.

I too decided to take English L&L HL as a first language even if it isn't and took German (my native language) as a second language.

Hi Luis, I'm going UWC too.

Spanish Lit may be self-taught, but there will be lots of students from different Spanish speaking backgrounds who will be doing the course as well, so you won't really be doing the subject alone. Plus there are combined classes for all students who are doing self-taught. Some kind of World Literature class thing. So this given, perhaps you'd want to reconsider deciding against Spanish?

If you're confident with your English ability though, like I am (I've been bilingual all my life), I encourage you to give lang&lit a spin. I'd be careful because apparently a lot of native speakers too find Group A difficult! My UWC mentor dissuaded me from doing self taught as he found he had learnt nothing new from doing so, and would've personally benefited more by picking another subject. Given all this, I decided on doing English literature and french B.

So my advice is, if you are able to do English A, you should definitely do it. And even if you aren't able to, Spanish self-taught might not be as bad as it seems, so don't fret! Good luck with your choices :D

I'm going to LPC in Hong Kong, how about you? I guess we aren't going to the same college because Spanish is taught in our school, and anthropology is not offered!

• Like 1

You're overestimating the difficulty of and prerequisites required for English L&L.

I have a younger cousin who has spoken Spanish all her life and has only been studying English for 3-4 years now (much like you) and she's heading for L&L HL as well. The subject is an upgrade of the old A2 syllabus which was designed to be a tougher English course targeted towards non-native speakers.

It might prove difficult for you generally, but I highly doubt it will be so challenging that you will be unable to handle it. Go for the class and work hard, you will be fine.

• Like 2

You're overestimating the difficulty of and prerequisites required for English L&L.

I have a younger cousin who has spoken Spanish all her life and has only been studying English for 3-4 years now (much like you) and she's heading for L&L HL as well. The subject is an upgrade of the old A2 syllabus which was designed to be a tougher English course targeted towards non-native speakers.

It might prove difficult for you generally, but I highly doubt it will be so challenging that you will be unable to handle it. Go for the class and work hard, you will be fine.

I agree with that. English L&L is not that bad in terms of difficulty. Even as a non-native speaker and English being my third language I wish I have chosen English L&L (even at HL) instead of English B HL which is far too easy and not that respected by foreign universities. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't have problems with understanding the content taught. Plus English L&L is simply more interesting. English B HL is an extremely dull subject and even more useless than Math Studies (both in terms of getting into university and challenging yourself intelectually).

Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am too, doing English L+L as a "foreigner" or non-native speaker. 

So far, I am finding it alright. It is definitely not as hard in comparison to literature (in my opinion, from information that has been gathered by friends... etc.)

Plus, if you are into pop culture and interesting stuff like that, it would be quite beneficial. I am finding it extremely interesting at the moment (I am currently doing part 3, language and mass communication).