Studying 6 subjects at HL?

beth-

Hi, I'm Beth and I'm new to this website, so I'm not really sure whether this thread is placed in the correct topic, but anyway, I'm currently in Pre-IB, and I'm obviously thinking about subjects a lot and which ones I'm going to study. I know that you're supposed to study 3 subjects at SL and 3 subjects at HL, but I'm debating whether to choose these subjects;

English A HL

Spanish B HL (my step father is from Mexico and will help me with this, besides I'm fluent in Spanish so that won't be a problem)

History HL (my mum is a history teacher and I got an A in 9th grade and I really love history so this won't be a problem either)

Economics HL

Biology HL

Maths HL

I know this is a challenge, despite the help that my parents can give me, but I really want to study this; it'll look great on my resume, and I'm definitely up for the challenge, I was actually bored in middle school because I thought the subjects were way too easy so my mum would give me advanced high school books in history, civics, religion, Swedish, and chem.

I don't know if this is too much, though, do you think I'd be able to handle it?

I don't want to repeat what everyone has said.

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/29609-taking-6-hls-1-sl/

I wouldn't say it's impossible/will ruin your life/etc as I myself know several people doing 6 HLs but

1. if you're only doing 6 HLs (instead of 6HL+2SL) you won't get a diploma.

2. it is a challenge, but if you're confident then do it, because if we convinced you to not do it you'd blame us later.

EDIT: and no, an A in grade 9 doesn't guarantee a high mark in IB. I'd assume most people taking IB excel their "normal" classes.

Edited by ssy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Four HLs is plenty. If you want your diploma, choose your best four subjects as HLs and take the others SL. Even though the content isn't necessarily difficult (depending on who you are), the workload for an HL class is a weighty commitment. If getting accepted to a top-notch university is your goal, you want to balance your academics with other enriching activities that make you a well-rounded student.

Good luck if you do choose this, but this is probably too much.

Math HL on its own is incredibly challenging - I don't know anyone who has that high and also 3 other highs. 

If you are fluent in Spanish then Spanish B HL shouldn't be difficult at all. But History HL is a lot of work, and even if you have scored well in History in lower grades, History HL is incredibly time consuming. 

Bio HL is a (relatively) easy high level, but is also incredibly time consuming. And it is really difficult to score highly in any language A HL, so you might be better off dropping at least 2 of your subjects to SL depending on what you want to study after school. 

• Like 1

I don't think you can survive with 6 HL. How will you graduate IB in 2 years with 6 HLs?

HL = more hours, more work. There will be ToK, EE and also CAS.

IB is not everything in this world. I suggest you to take atleast 4 HL. and, in resume... You don't really need good marks, you just need a lot of experiences,

Good luck!

Edited by rhapsodysiscaa

I'd rather you get a 40+ in the normal 3 HLs and 3 SLs than a 30 in 6 HLs, if you know what I mean. In the end, it's your grades and scores that matter, doing more HLs won't get you any more credit, it'll still be the same IB Diploma awarded to you. So why volunteer yourself for extra torture? The normal subject layout is already hell.

• Like 1

Guest Daminark

It isn't possible to do 6 as far as I know. My IB coordinator said that she could write a recommendation to IB and allow you to take 5, but 6 could be pushing it. Get a feel for the classes as they are, and see. If you truly feel the load is manageable, and if you get the right permissions, move Spanish to SL Literature (self study if your school doesn't offer it) and keep the rest. That, however, is seriously pushing it, both in terms of the workload, since having extracurriculars is more important than 5 HLs, and your school is seriously unlikely to let you have that schedule (my ib coordinator said she felt that no one in our grade could handle 5 HLs and she wouldn't write any for us). If you can't, drop the classes you feel you'll struggle in to SL (leave Spanish since it's easy, and leave English since it helps to have it HL, and it's not hard, only a lot of work).