[Nov 2014] Help with Question 5

Hello :)

I'm doing my tok essay on:

“The task of history is the discovering of the constant and universal principles of human nature.” To what extent are history and one other area of knowledge successful in this task?

The quotation essentially implies (as I see it) that the job of history and human sciences (my selected AOK) is to find qualities that are present in all human beings. But, I'm confused with how to go about the topic in an essay format -- should I choose a couple of human nature characteristics like 'lust for power' and 'survival instincts' and just focus on how these are discovered by human nature and history... or should I have lots of different examples?

Here's my current plan:

- define human nature, constancy v/s universality

- history AOK (discuss both examples, bias)

- human sciences AOK (discuss both examples, flaws in them)

- come to a conclusion

Any help or advice on this question would be very appreciated!!

Simran

Guest Canhsjii

I also thought of doing this question but this is a hard question if you really do some research. The underlying intractable part of this title lies in the world "constant and universal". We normally take their meaning in a very mechanistic manner without considering other possible meanings. So do some research and you will find out what does the quote really means by "constant and universal". Hint: think of uniformity of human nature. For this title, I suggest you doing ethics rather than human sciences which might be easily confused with history. That's my point of view. Hope this helps :D

Edited by Canhsjii
  • Like 1

I did a similar question relating to history for my essay. I think in your introduction, you should not only define "human nature" but also "task". Is the job of history really to find the universal truth of human nature or does it have other aims as well? Plus, does human nature remain constant throughout time, or does it change as the human sciences evolve too?

Focusing on the main human nature characteristics you mentioned should be alright - that's what I'd do as well. But explore them in depth for both AOKs. Human sciences though may be too closely-related to history and your essay might become too one-sided because of this. If you choose another AOK like Art or Maths, you could argue that history supports the statement but the other AOK disagrees with it because of point 1, point 2 and point 3. For me personally, that would be a more interesting essay to write as well. But it is your choice - if you're comfortable then absolutely go for it!

Remember that the examples you use to support your arguments should be as closely related to you as possible! So using classic examples like dictators in the 20th century may support your point very well but you won't score highly on the personal engagement criteria.

Good luck!

• Like 1