HL:

Maths

Physics

Economics

SL:

English

Latin

?

I've got a free subject for SL and I'm not sure what to go for. I would definitely like doing history, but do you think that would be too difficult given my other subject choices? I guess my real question is: what are some relatively easy SL choices that are still enjoyable to learn?

Guest svdobre

I was a terrible IB student so my advice might not be the best out there, but it can't hurt :D

First, I would really take English as a HL subject as the difference in work load between English SL and HL as opposed to for example Math HL and SL is way smaller.

As for the SL ... it all depends on what your school is offering. What are your choices?

Edited by svdobre

I would highly recommend you to choose english your mother tongue as HL replacing Latin, because it turns out to be very useful in terms of abilities with the language and time managment.

If you definetly want to learn another language and not your mohter tongue, I would choose anything but Latin, I don't know if you've already learnt something about this language, but in terms of university admission or curiculum, german, french or even spanish would be A LOT more useful.

As for your HL I don't recommend you to take both Phisics and Maths at HL, unless you are absolutely EXCEPTIONAL in Maths, and equations and everthing else in that area, it is also very difficult to take both of this courses at HL because both are REALLY complex and amazingly time consuming, and you would have a very bas time organizing your schedule unless you are REALLY organized.

And as for your Sl subject, you may want to consider to take one of the arts, as they are a very good oportunity to express yourself apart from the academical area, however, you must also take in consideration that none of them are an easy subject, and you have to do your best always.

I hope this was useful for you ;)

If you like history, I would recommend you go ahead and take it. Taking a different subject just because it's considered easier will likely end up as more of a burden for you, because you end up having to force yourself to study something you have no interest in.

Also, contrary to what's been said above, having taken the same three HL's I don't think it's a problem at all.

• Like 1

I am taking your HLs at the moment. What I would recommend is to start off with four HLs (that is what i have) so that we can decide which one to keep in the end. There is basically no difference between SL English and HL English (at least for Language and Literature.) Another useful subject you could consider is SL Chem. That is one subject that can be really useful to have with HL Maths and HL Physics if you are trying out of engineering.

• Like 1

I am taking your HLs at the moment. What I would recommend is to start off with four HLs (that is what i have) so that we can decide which one to keep in the end. There is basically no difference between SL English and HL English (at least for Language and Literature.) Another useful subject you could consider is SL Chem. That is one subject that can be really useful to have with HL Maths and HL Physics if you are trying out of engineering.

• Like 1