Chemistry P1, P2 TZ1

jo-david

How did everyone's papers go?

Paper one was at the expected level of difficulty, or a bit easier than past papers. I noticed some twists they tried to put in, in order to increase the distinguishing factor (is that even how its called idk)

On the other hand, paper two was TERRIBLE. I gotta admit, I didn't prepare well for Chemistry in general, and i only skimmed through one past paper 2 just to look at its structure, so yes I wasn't prepared. But oh. my.god. I'd be lucky if I got 50% out of it. Was it just me not studying enough, or was this paper hard in general?

I didn't even study too much (maybe a couple hours of review? I don't like studying in general), but I did 8~10 past papers. After I started doing 4 or 5 of them, I was able to do the exam really quickly (~30 minutes for Paper 1, 80~90 minutes for paper 2).

Paper 1: Yeah, difficulty was average. I had a lot of time left over at the end of the exam so I had the time to look over the exam multiple times. There were some tricky questions, but IB often uses similar tricks every year so I sniffed some out some of the curveballs on the test.

Paper 2: I didn't study Redox and Organic because I did past papers, and these two topics were almost always on Section B. Hence, I studied the first 8 topics fairly in depth and did Q5 (Equilibria and atomic theory?) and Q7 (Acid/Base). Very basic Redox and Organic Chem on Section A. I also love doing calculations (free marks for me), and there were a lot of calculation questions (Stoichiometry, Enthalpy, and Acid/Base). But generally, most people find calculations hard (the subject reports reflect this), so I think that's why some of my classmates also found Paper 2 hard. I thought Paper 2 was fairly tricky, but it wasn't incredibly hard (from experience, I think the paper boundaries will be high 60s or low 70s for a 7).

24 hours are up for me (and I think it's past 1pm GMT), so I'm gonna discuss Paper 3 here as well.

I chose Option A and F. A was okay for me, and I think I bombed option F. I just BSed the whole option using my limited knowledge of organic chemistry . Didn't study option F a lot, so I expected it.

Heyy!!

I found that Paper 1 was slightly confusing, although I didn't do that bad I don't think and I found Paper 2 a dream, did 5 and 8 (LOOOVE ORGANIC) from Section B and Section A was much easier than previous years..

Paper 3 was also quite manageable, considering I only like studied a couple of hours for it, did Environmental and Further Organic.

Overall, hoping for at least a 6 :D

BOO
Scared ya?? haha
Yo hommies!!!
So in paper 1, I turned the page with an extremely elegant swing of my arm and I was like "Is this even HL?" Outcome: 39/40 +/- 1
Paper 2 was like a nice rolled doobie. Section A went smooth like the rolling. Section B was easy as 3.14159. Ripped dem trans elementiums from Q5 and neutralised Q7. There was this buffer exercise though..... I was like DAMN YOU IB EXAMINERS YOU TRYNNA MESS WITH OUR MINDS HUH???? But I ain't no quitter so I went on and solved this like a REAL chemist not like these IB "van der Waals'" dinos. Outcome: BOOM 7
I further ripped organic in paper 3 and I sustain-ably kicked enviro chems arse. El classico. Was fairly easy. Didn't study acyl chlorides and boom the chem god is w me.
Outcome: 7
Cya and kisses to ya all :blowkiss:
Overall: 7

Edited by Stavros da manly chemist
  • Like 2

Heyy!!

I found that Paper 1 was slightly confusing, although I didn't do that bad I don't think and I found Paper 2 a dream, did 5 and 8 (LOOOVE ORGANIC) from Section B and Section A was much easier than previous years..

What was your answer in question 2 of paper 1?? I chose the one with the 327 degrees, 2 atm and 100 cm^3??you girl?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a fairly good grip on the entire HL material and paper 2 was still quite difficult! I'm predicted 6 but to be honest I'm happy with a 4 or a 5 after writing paper 2!

Didn't study anything for paper 3 - did options B & D and it went really well (considering I knew nothing beforehand) :)