Scholarships for US students going to Europe

Guinievre

I've been considering going to university in Switzerland, but my main problem is the living cost. From what I understand, the Erasmus scholarship covers that, but I'm confused with their website (not only that, but they're changing the scholarship). As I live in the US, would I be eligible to apply for that scholarship? Also, if anyone knows, when should I apply and what are my chances of getting the scholarship? And if the chances are low, are there other scholarships besides Erasmus that could help me with that problem?

AFAIK the Erasmus Programme and their scholarships are only available to European (EU, EEA and EFTA) students/residents. Doing a quick search on Erasmus' webpages gave no universities in Switzerland, so it seems you are out of luck @Guinievre. Their webpage is this one: http://erasmusprogramme.com/erasmus_scholarships.php

There is a program for Masters and PhD levels as @veregudmen points out, but this is a separate program called Erasmus Mundus: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus/funding/scholarships_students_academics_en.php

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you're considering ETH Zürich or EPFL. :)

As of February, Swiss universities are no longer part of the Erasmus Program (due to high costs and votes against mass immigration in February).

Generally, you won't get scholarships for Swiss universities as the tuition fees are very low.

(Exception: If you're a Swiss citizen and can't even afford the 650 CHF per semester).

Now, I know living in Switzerland is pricey, but there are also other possibilities.

For example, I have a friend who's from Germany. He lives in a student hostel (which is cheaper than an apartment) and works 30% at the Apple Store. He manages to buy food, pay rent and everything else he needs to.

If you're in second year, you could also become an assistant and give exercise lessons.

(By the way, you'll probably need to take a language exam as the courses at ETH are in German and French at EPFL - and Ab Initio won't be enough).

Good luck!

...well, that's a bit disappointing. Looks like I'll be skipping prom and working my butt off for the next 2 years to earn enough money lol

I've also been learning French on my own, so I think that might help a bit... maybe...

Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate it :D

PS: This doesn't really go with the topic of scholarships, but I was just wondering- In my senior year of high school, I'll be able to be a certified pharmacy technician (I'm taking classes during high school). Even though it's an American certification, would that be accepted in Switzerland? If so, I might not have to panic as much about living expenses, assuming that pharmacy technicians earn a bit more than say, a cashier at a store or something :)