Art & Design Foundation Year. Where?

nopnop

Hello,

I am finishing my IB as we speak and I have come to realize, that what I thought I had figured out is not so obvious anymore.

I have applied to a number of Architecture courses in British universities in January (UCAS deadline). The future I thought I had figured out has become a little shaky and I started to be unsure about my course choice.

I decided at this point that I will either take a gap year or do a foundation year in Art & Design. As I am unable at this point to apply to British universities I was unsure whether I would be able to apply anywhere at this stage.

Does anybody know a university, which offers a foundation course in Art & Design, which will take my application as late as now. I would rather prefer Europe, but ultimately I am open worldwide. I might add that I consider myself a fairly strong candidate (35-38 points, 7 predicted in Art HL).

Thank you for help.

If you're not leery of Australia, you probably might ask if you can apply there since there are quite a lot of foundation courses, and the year starts in December 2014, so you've got more time to actually consider if this is the right choice and not just an impulse decision / nerves affecting you.

Otherwise, potentially, yes. If you did UCAS and you rejected / were rejected by both your insurance + firm, there's clearing, which occurs after all the results have been given out, and people have taken places. Clearly, some people will take their first choice while others will take their second, and this is where clearing comes in. Clearing allows people who haven't got an university course to apply / appeal to an university to get a spot on their course.

Of course, clearing works upon the basis that you've already finished the IB.

Personally, I think that you'd be better off applying to an Australian foundation course, unless you've got a strong portfolio already which you can submit for consideration in a foundation course for UK. I'm not sure about USA, but insofar as I know, US generally builds a foundation year into their art degrees, whilst in UK foundation is separated from the actual degree, causing a 4 year course for US and 3 year for UK for a BA.

Your best bet imo is to call up schools personally, such as UAL because as far as I know / remember, UCAS doesn't handle foundation courses- it is done by direct application to the school itself. Or at least, that was what I was told.

Best of luck!

I'm in a similar situation like you as well :( I'm thinking of taking a gap year, to possibly do courses too.

I was looking at this college: http://www.lasalle.edu.sg/Programmes/Programme-Detail/Certificate-Foundation-Certificate-In-Visual-Arts based in Singapore. You could just get your certificate, and go straight into your Ba(hons).

Or here: http://www.kingscolleges.com/prepare-for-uk-university/our-courses/art-foundation.html#.U3uHu974JvI

If you're willing to go to Boston, theres an Arts college in Massachusetts: http://www.massart.edu/Academic_Programs.html they have certificate programs. :)

Hope this helps heh.