Replying to offers - what exactly does it mean?

Annalouise

Hello!

I'm in the process of replying to my offers in UCAS (need to do so by June 5th), but I don't quite understand the terms they use. I've asked the unis and they keep directing me to their webpages and to UCAS but I just can't seem to get it.. I thought that perhaps someone here's done it before and could help, that'd be great in that case :)

Say I decid to make uni A my firm choice and uni B my insurance, and once I get my grades in July it turns out I met the requirements for uni A. What happens then? Does meeting the requirements of your firm choice mean you have the place straight away with no alternatives and no chance of saying "yes" on last time (i.e. once you meet the requirements your in in, no getting out), or will I still have the possibility to either choose uni B (which has lower requirements) or not accept either one?

And does it differ if you apply for deferred entry? (I did) I mean, say you change your mind during that year and no longer want to attend your firm choice (or the one you chose), what happens then?

Hope all you out there doing exams feel like your getting along well (:

Hi there! According to my UCAS co-coordinator...

If you make uni A your first choice, and then fulfill the offer requirements, you have to go to uni A. I even heard him say at one point something about "legal obligations"-whether that was to scare us into doing it right or not I don't know ;) This is why it is so important that you make your firm choice the place you really want to go to! University B, your insurance choice is exactly that- it is a 'back up plan', if you like, in case you don't meet uni A's requirements. It should be a uni that you would still be happy to go to-as there is always the risk of having a 'bad day in the exam room' (i.e. everything goes horribly wrong)- but one with more "realistic" entry requirements. That way, you still go to a uni you will be happy at, even if it wasn't your first choice

I think that of you are deferring your entry, you are still required to go to uni A, but you could still withdraw your application... I'm not sure the logistics of deferral, so you may want to check with someone better qualified to say than me!

Hope this clears up your questions (but maybe not the deferral one, you probably want to double check that with someone else) and I hope your exams are going well :D

• Like 1

And does it differ if you apply for deferred entry? (I did) I mean, say you change your mind during that year and no longer want to attend your firm choice (or the one you chose), what happens then?

My understanding, like psychologystudent501, was that if you defer your firm choice and don't want to go you would usually have to withdraw and reapply to your new choice using your exam results. However, some universities may have different policies so you could try directly contacting them for more information!