klaudiks

Hey guys!

I am wondering, because in instruction to each paper on geography there is note "Use case studies, examples, maps and/or diagrams where relevant" case studies and examples are obvious but have you ever drawn something? Any map or diagrams? Is it essential to achieve maximum score?

And by the way, what is the difference, if any, between essays in paper 1, 2 and 3?

I look forward to hearing from you,

best wishes,

Klaudia

Hey there!

My geography teacher really emphasizes on using case studies, diagrams/maps and examples for the higher-mark questions. Of course, it really depends on the type of question and how much it is worth. And yes, in order to achieve the higher marks you do need to include them where appropriate. It is really hard to give examples of where to do it and where not.

But, if there is a question where you know a diagram or example or case study, spend the extra minute to include it. Since it can essentially put you in the higher grade marks.

Regarding the different papers:

Paper 1: Based on Part 1 - Core topics. They are mainly short answer questions, and do not go too in depth.

• Section A: answer all short answer questions about all the four core themes
  • Section B: answer ONE extended-response question
  • You get 1 1/2 hours for everything

Paper 2: Based on Part 2 - Optional themes. These go more in depth and are the longer, more essay type questions.

• for each theme there is a choice of two structures questions, each based on a different document (map, graph, ...) --> You need to answer ONE structures question from each of the option themes studied
  • You get 40 minutes per question

Paper 3: Based on the higher level Extension - this is an essay type question

• you must answer ONE of three essay questions
  • you get 1 hour

I hope this helped (:

• Like 2