Can you use variations of the same study for ERQs?

Lili75

For example, for sociocultural origins of violence, can I use Zimbardo (1969) to explain the deindividuation theory, and then use Johnson and Downing (1979) to explain the role of social identity theory on the origins of violence? I'm not sure because their limitations would be very similar and I would have to evaluate them together.

Another example is the question about factors influencing conformity. Can I use different variations of the Asch (1951) experiment to explain the effects of unanimity and culture? In one variation, one confederate was instructed to always disagree with the majority (even if it was also the wrong answer) and it resulted in the conformity rate dropping significantly. I would use this to show the role of unanimity. Then for the role of culture, I would use the emic version of the study by Bond and Smith who replicated the original Asch experiment in 17 different cultures.

Do you think it would be fine to do this or is it better to use different studies?

Yes you can use variations of studies. I would avoid using Zimbardo, often in exam reports examiners complain about how students use it. However, with regards to origin of violence it seems very appropriate!

Using additional studies besides just all of the Asch studies is a good idea since you can show breadth of knowledge. Including Bond and Smith is a good idea. I would mention collectivism/individualism and other cultural factors as well.

• Like 1

Thank you so much. Just to clarify, in case someone else might want to use this post, by the Zimbardo study I didn't mean the Prison Experiment but the one were female undergraduates were instructed to apply electric shocks to the 'learners'. In one condition their individual identity was emphasized while in another they were deindividauted.