IB History EE HELP PLEASE!

onlyforbenjamin

Hi im SERIOUSLY new at this and i JUST found this site like 3 minutes ago while i was writing my EE. I know I shouldnt let this EE get to me but it really is i feel so discouraged and not confident about it and its summer time right now so I can really meet any teachers. oh btw im an American IB student, i think IB is alittle more mellow here in the states or at least in my school. Anyway im writing a history EE and i dont know how to begin. My topic needs some refining and i was wondering if you guys can help me out. I want to do McCarthyism and so the question ive come up with are the following:

to what extent did McCarthy use public fear to further his career?
Analyze McCarthy's use of public fear to gain recognition and its potential cause for his removal?

what do you guys think?

You should look at the criteria first of all. Try to narrow down an idea that fits all of it.

Then you should start reading up on your title. IMO the first one is a bit too broad of a subject to narrow down to 4,000 words. You could go "To what extent did McCarthy use the present political tension to further his career"? Public fear implies a lot of things.

Once you've found lots of sources and read them, made a two-sided essay plan:

[b]How he used it to further his career[/b]
HOWEVER
[b]How he used it to benefit others/how he worked selflessly (basically opposite of first point)[/b]

Look up tips as well, you can get sample essays and other useful bits online.

• 2 weeks later...

TRUST ME...i know wat it feels like to be discouraged. i had 20 pgs of notes on my topic and when i emailed my supervisor just to double check if i was doing everything right she said my research question was completely wrong for a history ee. so i have to start all over again =(

back to your problem....
read the history ee guide and sample essays then u can get an idea of what is a bad/good research question. you should narrow down your question so its much more specific and MAKE SURE that there's a variety of primary and secondary resources which cover your topic. also make sure that u have a good balance of resources (books, journals, videos, etc) and its advised NOT to use internet sites unless its a online periodical or something. in terms of the essay itself make sure you [b]analyse[/b] mccarthy's actions rather than just talk about what he did. are his actions justified - pros and cons?

just remember: CONCISE research question, balanced resources, analytical rather than a narrative essay.

Hope that helps! good luck=)