Should I take English B as a 7th subject?

JessicaYaoHe

Hey guys, do u know if taking english as one of ur subject is required by universities? isnt IELTS enough?

well, someone from UBC visited our school and told me i need an english grade to apply. but when my coordinator asked her, she said i can apply but just there may be some more processes. but honestly i dont trust my coordinator much, as in the beginning he told me there is nothing to worry about not choosing English and if i cannot apply to the college i want becasue of that, he probably would have a lot responsibility to take on, plus he lied to me about all my grades being zero in my first month when my French teacher told me I got a 6 and i got a 6 on an essay in history on exactly the same day, just because i have no grade on biology because i was absent the day the only test took place...well, i just want to say hes not someone to trust...

i looked on their website, it appears that they only require english from ib students and they even require an english A? i really hope i got that wrong and i know someone who just been admitted not taking that...

and i have also heard U of T and Umelb require that as well from my university councilor, which all are my interested unis, but i checked the websites, U of T do seems to require that, but from my understanding, Umelb does not...

soooo, does anyone know for sure if English is required by unis in Canada, Australia and UK? and if i take it, i dont want to drop french, so it is wise to have 7 subjects? and does anyone know if it is useful for me to start taking it now, does it count at the end (again i don't want to simply rely on my coordinator)?

In Canada, English and Math are required. If you take English B, you might have to submit a TOEFL or IELTS grade as well, though I'm not 100% sure.
I don't know if Australian universities require English as a subject, but if it isn't your first language you have to do the IELTS.

I unfortunately have no idea what the situation is in the UK, though I imagine it wouldn't be too different.

With regard to your subject dilemma, I have been told 7 subjects are really not worth doing. In your situation, given that a year is already over, unless you're fluent, I really wouldn't recommend 7 subjects. You likely have IAs, your EE, TOK and CAS stuff to do on top of your regular schoolwork, it really wouldn't make sense to take it on.

That being said, its something you would have to decide. Talk to some people in the year above you and try and find out how it would be. It depends a lot on the subjects you are taking at the moment, and how much work they are for you as things stand.