How do I prepare for Mathematics HL?

Guest NapWar

Guest NapWar

Hey guys, my holidays have started and there's a lot of time left till school starts this September, and I want to be at a level where I am able to do Mathematics HL by then.

I've done IGCSE Mathematics Extended with an A* and regularly score perfectly in school tests, but I've been told that it's not a good indication of how well I'd be able to cope with the IB Mathematics HL. So while I have time to prepare, I want to make sure I have the foundation required to be able to do the course.

What can I do to prepare, and are there any resources I can make use of? Thanks in advance! :)

I personally don't think you really need to do much. You will have two years to learn the material, so don't try to get ahead on the syllabus. You'll be bored and if you end up teaching yourself something incorrectly you have to re-learn it anyways.

However, if you still want to do some preparation I would only look at the "assumed knowledge" section, which I believe is on the syllabus. It lists the topics that a student should know and be comfortable with before starting the course. You can review these if you want and make sure you know these topics before starting the actual HL math course. But trying to cover three, four, or even five topics of the HL course is too much. Enjoy your summer, not everything needs to be about school all the time.

• Like 1

First read the syllabus!! Before getting down to specific topics and chapters, it's a necessary and helpful thing to get the overall knowledge of the Maths HL. If you still have time and incentives to preview. I recommend you to download past years' test papers of Maths HL, don't forget to get the mark scheme; see what you can do and check your answers with the answers given by the mark scheme to understand what IB wants for answers.

Good luck, and have fun in your holiday

Guest NapWar

I personally don't think you really need to do much. You will have two years to learn the material, so don't try to get ahead on the syllabus. You'll be bored and if you end up teaching yourself something incorrectly you have to re-learn it anyways.

However, if you still want to do some preparation I would only look at the "assumed knowledge" section, which I believe is on the syllabus. It lists the topics that a student should know and be comfortable with before starting the course. You can review these if you want and make sure you know these topics before starting the actual HL math course. But trying to cover three, four, or even five topics of the HL course is too much. Enjoy your summer, not everything needs to be about school all the time.

Assumed knowledge is what I was talking about in my original post, I don't plan to study the course itself! Haha, leave that to school :P

First read the syllabus!! Before getting down to specific topics and chapters, it's a necessary and helpful thing to get the overall knowledge of the Maths HL. If you still have time and incentives to preview. I recommend you to download past years' test papers of Maths HL, don't forget to get the mark scheme; see what you can do and check your answers with the answers given by the mark scheme to understand what IB wants for answers.

Good luck, and have fun in your holiday

Good advice, thanks! I'll be sure to look into that.

From my experience, just make sure you don't go 'rusty' before you start. Make sure your fundamental skills are really really up to scratch. If you're interested in the course itself, go onto the OSC website and look for the Maths videos - they're worked solutions of questions that you may get in an exam. This will give you an idea of what to expect.

Hey guys, my holidays have started and there's a lot of time left till school starts this September, and I want to be at a level where I am able to do Mathematics HL by then.

I've done IGCSE Mathematics Extended with an A* and regularly score perfectly in school tests, but I've been told that it's not a good indication of how well I'd be able to cope with the IB Mathematics HL. So while I have time to prepare, I want to make sure I have the foundation required to be able to do the course.

What can I do to prepare, and are there any resources I can make use of? Thanks in advance! :)

Looks like you're very good at maths already :) Anyway in the Mathematics HL book I got for IB1 (Mathematics Higher Level course companion by oxford) contains a long chapter called "prior learning" with everything you have to know before you start the Mathematics HL course. So my advice would be to by that book now and check the prior learning chapter that you know everything there and maybe do some exercises and read through the book if you want to. It's a good book so it's not wasted money if your teacher will use another book in class because this book is easy to understand with a lot of exercises and past papers and IA instructions :)

Guest NapWar

Looks like you're very good at maths already :) Anyway in the Mathematics HL book I got for IB1 (Mathematics Higher Level course companion by oxford) contains a long chapter called "prior learning" with everything you have to know before you start the Mathematics HL course. So my advice would be to by that book now and check the prior learning chapter that you know everything there and maybe do some exercises and read through the book if you want to. It's a good book so it's not wasted money if your teacher will use another book in class because this book is easy to understand with a lot of exercises and past papers and IA instructions :)

Woah, you've got your hands on some books already? Haha, the there is no IB in my country, let alone books for it. I'll try to get my hands on what you're talking about somehow though :D

Woah, you've got your hands on some books already? Haha, the there is no IB in my country, let alone books for it. I'll try to get my hands on what you're talking about somehow though :D

Buy it from amazon or some other webshop :) I did that.