How to study for the Econ SL exam?

The title says it all I guess. So, my IB econ class prepares us for both the SL and AP Macro/Micro exams but I'm only taking the SL one. My teacher isn't being helpful and so I don't really know how to study for it. Are you guys buying exam prep books or something? Thanks for your help and good luck!

I just use the textbook and the syllabus and read through them. Make sure you understand concepts and then memorize diagrams and definitions. It's really simple.

My Textbook is "Economics for the iB Diploma" (Tragakes)

It also contains a CD-ROM with the type of questions you may be asked. This book alone is very helpful for studying. However if you have not used it before it's better to first compare your notes to the syllabus and just use online resources because it will take a lot of time to go through this textbook.

Edited by r1111
  • Like 1

Try making note cards. Questions on front answers on back. This is just for factual recall you can do before you sleep at night. You really just need to practice and practice. Do ALOT of papers and ask your teacher to mark it. This is the only way to improve fast. Practice the areas which you are least comfortable with and make sure you practice making good plans for your essays. To be honest, the harder essays tend to be the easier broad based questions because there is just too much to talk about and you will waste a lot of precious time in the exam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Past papers, past papers, past papers...and I did I already mention it, past papers. Past papers is your best friend when preparing for any IB-exam. They prepare you for exactly what you have to do on the exam and you find out what content you are lacking knowledge of. I experienced great improvements in my grade from my predicted by practicising Paper 1s and 2s the month before the exam (outlined below; from another thread):

Do past papers or sample paper exercises from your textbook. It will help you tremendously in answering and getting used to examination questions. If you have the opportunity, ask your teacher if it is possible that you could together mark your practice papers and discuss how to improve them weekly. I did this with my teacher and it was of tremendous help - helped me raise my grade from a predicted 4 to a 6 in the final exam!

• Like 1