PLEASE HELP ME!

paul34

Hey Guys,

So I know our exams are nearing, yet i fail to garner the strength to actually regurgitate all this knowledge. I have been accepted to my first choice Uni in America and my grades have to be "commensurate with what I applied." As some of you may understand, I havent been able to decipher this cryptic, bloated message and have really no motivation to revise. Many applicants that are already in university have told me that I am already assured a spot as long as I pass but I am a bit skeptic about this. Nevertheless, I still havent been able to muster the strength to actually go through my notes AGAIN and do all these past papers.

For perspective, we finished the Bio HL syllabus back in january and I put prodigious efforts to prepare for mocks, however since then we have been so bored and this feeling has perpetuated to all my subjects. sometimes its just the gargantuan amount of knowledge that is daunting I earnestly have no idea how to regain this motivation.

Do you guys have tips for me? How can I get re-motivated into doing my work? Am i stretching myself thin? What incenses me is that I had put in the effort but have since forgotten a fair amount of the knowledge leading to this enraged feeling with myself and thus my complacency with mediocracy. Should I just take some time off to decompress? Do you guys have any revision tips for me that may lead me to be focused. Nowadays my attention span has digressed to the point where I read a sentence and get up to procrastinate. I also feel that I am cheating myself in that I accomplish my goals for the day but just barely. I seriously have no idea what I am doing with my life at this point - I have just gotten extremely lazy. I remember finishing topic 6 & 11 of Bio Hl in 2 hours and to this point I still havent finished revising for this and it has been 4.5hrs. I really need some help. Do I have to change my studying technique to something more stimulating as I am really just rereading my notes and saving papers for later. Whats worse is that I am alone practically in every HL (alone in chem and bio, eco is online) so I really have no one to revise with.

I strive for the best grades and knowing that it will take Herculean efforts to achieve this is putting me off. I have no idea what has gotten into me this past month but I am really demotivated and really need some help getting back on track.

Thank you to whoever responds!

Edited by paul34
  • Like 1

Get on with it, this not only your future, but your whole life at stake. There's no joking about it now, we have just over 5 weeks until exams. I understand your feeling of just being fed up with the IB and wanting it all over and done with, but trust me, if you don't put the effort in now then by results day, the IB for you won't be finished. Every year my school has some students who have had to delay their entry to university because they didn't get the grades they needed to meet the university's entry requirements. That's a whole year of their life gone, just to wait to be accepted the following year, and another year being stuck with the IB.

I too study Biology HL, and unlike you, we never finished the syllabus since we haven't had the best luck with teachers (4 teachers, with others coming in to help now and then). I literally have to learn Biology from cover to cover, except for the few chapters and topics that I know here and there from previous revision. I also have Psychology HL which is a nightmare, with approximately 100 studies which I have to learn and memorise off by heart for the exams. I've taken my time off school to dedicate my time and effort to revising because I know I don't learn at school and our school won't allow study leave. If I can get through my revision (I've only just started :P) then so can you, since I'm the biggest procrastinator I know.

Just get up and do it! Turn off any annoying distractions e.g. YouTube, Facebook, email, your phone, and even IB Survival if you have to. Give yourself breaks and reward yourself too, you can't expect yourself to sit down and be like "Okay I'm going to revise for 5 hrs straight", because it won't happen. Set yourself a goal each day and work towards it, once you've done it you can stop, unless you have the energy and want to do more. This is the final run before the exam, get grips with revision so you don't walk into the exams blind. Good Luck to you and my fellow May 2014'ers! :)

• Like 3

Thank you for responding! I think I really needed a kick in the @$$ to really get me going and low and behold, I started working again today. I took the weekend off with minimal work and am savoring any free time I can get which is really helpful. By the way if you are still struggling with Biology or need any help, I can definitely help you with the content with my notes or by directing you to various helpful websites if you need it. Biology is probably my strongest subject but agains requires a lot of memorization so if you ever need the help, just shoot me a message. Thanks!

Thank you for responding! I think I really needed a kick in the @$$ to really get me going and low and behold, I started working again today. I took the weekend off with minimal work and am savoring any free time I can get which is really helpful. By the way if you are still struggling with Biology or need any help, I can definitely help you with the content with my notes or by directing you to various helpful websites if you need it. Biology is probably my strongest subject but agains requires a lot of memorization so if you ever need the help, just shoot me a message. Thanks!

haha thanks! I'm going back to school this week though, despite what I said :P and I'm not finding Biology challenging, there's just a lot to do!