Can I drop biology and start visual arts at IB2?

Guest ryuk1

Drop it asap, before IB1 even finishes, you will have to catch up on the workload quickly too. You have time, but you need to speak to your school. I remember my school being hesitant to let me drop art for chemistry after only 6 weeks, so you need to see whether they will allow you or not. Technically, you're allowed to change up until when your school registers you for the IB exams and that's when you'll have to pay to change; however this only happens in IB2 so you shouldn't be worried. Change soon, the longer you'll leave it, the more work you'll have to do.

Theoretically it is possible to do an entire two years worth of work in one year (my school did it, lucky us :P) but I would strongly recommend that you're fully committed to doing this. Visual art's a lot of work in itself, so if you're not going to be motivated to researching artists, analyzing your artwork, working on your investigation workbook, and producing a number of decent works to send off to the IB, I wouldn't recommend it. If you decide that you can handle it, I would highly recommend doing it at SL only.

Remember you have a choice between a slightly higher emphasis on your studio work or your workbook. You either get 60% studio/40% workbook for option A and 40% studio/60% workbook for option B. At SL I believe you need 9-12 good works and about 15-20 workbook pages to send in if you do option A (the emphasis on studio work) and 6-8 studio works and 25-30 workbook pages if you do option B (the emphasis on your workbook).