Group 4 HL and Maths HL?

Andrew

Hello! So basically I will start the IB1 in August, and I am having a hard time deciding for a Group 4 subject to take at HL. Look at my subjects:

English A L&L HL

Swedish B SL

History SL

Bilogogy HL

Maths. HL

Physics SL

I have previously taken the preIB abd the IB1 years in a different school, in a different country, but my subjects were literally all different, except for bilogy. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I do understand concepts well, and have it rather easy connecting the dots and getting the big picture. But I always have a terrible time in lab practices and even when covering theoretical topics about organs, blood, illnesses! I don't have the guts. I feel like I'm about to fain whenever the teacher mentions words like Cancer, HIV, blood vassels! This is pathetic...

In the other hand, I really need to take 2 sciences, whereof at least one has to be at HL, and Math at HL, because I want to get into one of the big Universities.

I have never taken Physics, in fact I have already shortlisted my possible degrees to: Physics, Mathematics and Material Science (and possible some Engeneering, such as oil or aerospace).

So basically, it's English plus Math HL plus some science. Any advice?

Hello! So basically I will start the IB1 in August, and I am having a hard time deciding for a Group 4 subject to take at HL. Look at my subjects:

English A L&L HL

Swedish B SL

History SL

Bilogogy HL

Maths. HL

Physics SL

I have previously taken the preIB abd the IB1 years in a different school, in a different country, but my subjects were literally all different, except for bilogy. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I do understand concepts well, and have it rather easy connecting the dots and getting the big picture. But I always have a terrible time in lab practices and even when covering theoretical topics about organs, blood, illnesses! I don't have the guts. I feel like I'm about to fain whenever the teacher mentions words like Cancer, HIV, blood vassels! This is pathetic...

In the other hand, I really need to take 2 sciences, whereof at least one has to be at HL, and Math at HL, because I want to get into one of the big Universities.

I have never taken Physics, in fact I have already shortlisted my possible degrees to: Physics, Mathematics and Material Science (and possible some Engeneering, such as oil or aerospace).

So basically, it's English plus Math HL plus some science. Any advice?

I would say go for Physics HL, since you want to study engineer at university and physics is needed for a lot more engineering fields than Chemistry HL is.

Taking Physics HL when you have never done it before is a big gamble, but if you want to you can go for it. But this means you will have to dedicate yourself to extra studying in order to catch up on the basics of physics, as everyone else will be ahead of you on this. I suggest you speak to your physics teacher about this and see what they think, considering HL Physics is one of the toughest IB subjects. If you're willing to put the extra effort in, then do it! :) and in terms of another science, Chemistry HL complements Physics much more than Biology (I've never known anyone who took bio and physics - they just don't go together!) Good Luck! :)

Wait..... you're still taking Biology? It's good that you are confident in it but if you feel like fainting after hearing all those terms, then it might be a problem.

And all the majors you're thinking about probably work better with a Physics HL. Again, Biology here won't really have an impact and two sciences in the diploma can be a lot of work.

Engineering and materials science require HL physics in most places. If it's not required, it would be strongly recommended. It is possible to do well in physics with no prior experience as long as you put in a little extra effort, take it from my personal experience.

Engineering and materials science require HL physics in most places. If it's not required, it would be strongly recommended. It is possible to do well in physics with no prior experience as long as you put in a little extra effort, take it from my personal experience.

I have a question, how did you get into a chemical engineering course with only Chemistry HL? I thought you would need Physics and Maths alongside as well :)

I have a question, how did you get into a chemical engineering course with only Chemistry HL? I thought you would need Physics and Maths alongside as well :)

Long story haha.

So my high school didn't have the best selection of IB courses. My school didn't offer IB physics. It did offer AP physics, but it clashed with another course at the time I wanted to take (in 12th grade I wanted to go into pharmacy so I took a biology class).

I actually wasn't recommended for HL math, I was told by my teacher right before IB started that I wouldn't be able to handle it, despite having a B+/A- average and was placed into SL math instead. I took the SL exam, got a 6 (would have gotten a 7, but IA moderation... :P). Then in 12th grade I took AP Calculus AB (in which I got the top score, so take that math teacher :P)

When I was applying to unis I put my major down as chemistry. Then I get to uni, realize that a chemistry major and pharmacy wasn't suited for me, learn about engineering, realize that chemical engineering was actually what I wanted to do, and then I switched over to engineering. My uni allows you to enter an engineering program with either high school chemistry or physics, and math. I had taken normal high school chemistry and HL chemistry, so I was fine. I'm taking my physics sequence right now. It's an introductory calculus-based sequence nonetheless, but it's required for my higher-level classes that I begin next year. I wish I had taken physics in high school, but I'm doing all right, even doing better than some people who took physics in high school.

As for math, I've completed my entire calculus sequence and I'm currently taking a linear algebra/differential equations course. So I think I've handled the math component well :P

So that's me.

Edited by Emmi

Long story haha.

So my high school didn't have the best selection of IB courses. My school didn't offer IB physics. It did offer AP physics, but it clashed with another course at the time I wanted to take (in 12th grade I wanted to go into pharmacy so I took a biology class).

I actually wasn't recommended for HL math, I was told by my teacher right before IB started that I wouldn't be able to handle it, despite having a B+/A- average and was placed into SL math instead. I took the SL exam, got a 6 (would have gotten a 7, but IA moderation... :P). Then in 12th grade I took AP Calculus AB (in which I got the top score, so take that math teacher :P)

When I was applying to unis I put my major down as chemistry. Then I get to uni, realize that a chemistry major and pharmacy wasn't suited for me, learn about engineering, realize that chemical engineering was actually what I wanted to do, and then I switched over to engineering. My uni allows you to enter an engineering program with either high school chemistry or physics, and math. I had taken normal high school chemistry and HL chemistry, so I was fine. I'm taking my physics sequence right now. It's an introductory calculus-based sequence nonetheless, but it's required for my higher-level classes that I begin next year. I wish I had taken physics in high school, but I'm doing all right, even doing better than some people who took physics in high school.

As for math, I've completed my entire calculus sequence and I'm currently taking a linear algebra/differential equations course. So I think I've handled the math component well :P

So that's me.

Oh wow, haha! :) that's really good, at least you had the options to take an extra, non-IB class alongside (we don't really have that here). I really like the American system, because they're lenient with subjects, unlike the UK :P I'm hopefully applying to University of Maryland to start in the spring semester (Jan 2015), there you don't even have to choose a specific course until your second year I think. I also like the fact that if you haven't studied a particular subject (e.g. I haven't done maths because I do studies lol :P) you can take the classes at uni. It's very difficult here in the UK, it's either you've got your subjects and grades, or you don't get accepted.

If you're interested in engineering/math related degrees I would suggest either Chemistry or Physics HL instead of Biology as Bio doesn't correspond with either of those types of degrees. I'm currently in Chem HL and Physics SL and feel as if it is preparing me well for college. Also, do take Math HL as I'm having to take AP Calculus AB along with Math SL because it is highly preferred to take Math HL for engineering schools, but my school doesn't offer Math HL, so Calc is the alternative to that.

The workload in Chemistry HL is very difficult, but definitely not overbearing and Physics SL is rather simple and very easy to understand without having taken any Physics courses prior to 11th grade.

Oh wow, haha! :) that's really good, at least you had the options to take an extra, non-IB class alongside (we don't really have that here). I really like the American system, because they're lenient with subjects, unlike the UK :P I'm hopefully applying to University of Maryland to start in the spring semester (Jan 2015), there you don't even have to choose a specific course until your second year I think. I also like the fact that if you haven't studied a particular subject (e.g. I haven't done maths because I do studies lol :P) you can take the classes at uni. It's very difficult here in the UK, it's either you've got your subjects and grades, or you don't get accepted.

Yeah that's what I like about our system as well. Although entering a specific program might be delayed a little bit to catch up on requirements, oftentimes the curriculum is designed to start you off at the beginning (our engineering sequence for math starts off at Calculus 1, which is like SL math) because they know not everyone had the chance to take super advanced math classes. At elite schools this is probably a little bit different, but at the majority of schools they do this to help you out and not shut you out of what you'd want to do.

HL physics without prior knowledge of the subject will be tough and time consuming. But if you really want to do it and are motivated from day one then go for it. But since you are taking a very challenging subject, maybe you should consider two group 3 subjects instead of two sciences. Most engineering courses do not require two sciences at IB.

• 8 months later...

If you are good at math (since you chose HL), and also you are passionate in doing engineering in the future...

just go for physics HL

I would say phy HL is not harder than SL just wider. the requirements for IA and other stuff are almost the same. the only thing you need is just your ability of solving problems and finding interesting things. (it is even easier to get a 6 or 7 in phys HL than SL)

hmm if you want to go with two sciences, take chem as your other science? from what others are saying, physics HL seems like a killer, but if you want, then go for it! I don't take physics. I just take chem at SL and bio at HL. IB chem is pretty demanding, but the concepts are easy to understand. 

• kw0573 locked this topic