Does IB allows creativity in English? Even if the answers are totally wierd

Hi everyone!

In English, we know that our answers can be based on our own analysis and interpretation as it depends upon our views. But I happened to come across a rather funny paper which my guess is IA. My teacher said that she had got it from OCC. I happened to glance it, it is about to write the guide (though I am taking Lit, still I am curious). Here are the contents (which I remember)

"Guide to survive in jungle by XXX"

Life in the jungle can be very dangerous as well as exciting. My survival guide will give you advice how to survive in jungle. For that first you need to be stranded in jungle, then only my guide will be useful. (Who in right mind would go and voluntarily get lost in jungle??)

Here are my following tips to survive in jungle:

1) In jungle you will encounter many troubles and so be ready to expect the problems. (I thought that he is writing this to tell us how to avoid problem)

2) For food hunt animals and eat meat and you need to weapons from sticks and stones to hunt animals. Always while hunting make noise to scare animals away (????)

3) To protect yourself from the eyes of predators smear yourself with animal blood and mud to confuse animals. (Blood?! Why to attract animals??)

... and so rest I don't remember. I understand that this will come under creative writing, but does that mean we can write any thing which is factually incorrect in English?? Also how come this good for nothing 'survival guide' had come in OCC? Does that mean it is good?

Thanks!

P.S Hope you don't follow this guide as this might land you in more troubles! :P

Edited by Black Bird Lockheed

Interesting. You did a job of critiquing it, by the way. I had a good gaggle :)

It is quite possible that this was placed in the OCC as an example to teachers of what NOT to do. There is probably a critical (teacher) discussion missing from this as well.

I would be surprised if any teacher hands this out as a well-executed assignment model ...

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...