HL Chem vs HL Physics vs HL Math

IBSurvivors07

Hi,

I am about to take my subject combinations..i am in the MYP Program and getting 7s in both physics and chemistry but only 6 in math. I heard that HL Math is a killer and takes away most of your time and that it is very difficult to get a good score in...and from my school most of the students are getting 4s and 5s and only one of them managed to pull out a 6. I want to take engineering in the U.S. and after looking at some unis, most of them doesn't need hl math. Which of these subjects are the hardest in IB?

my options currently are: HL Physics, HL Chem, HL Business, SL Math, SL English, Ab.Initio spanish

I'm not sure what is the level of calculus you do in SL math, but engineering is basically physics and calculus, so it might be a bit difficult to catch up to the level of calculus needed by engineering courses in university. I don't think US universities actually have requirements for any major. If you are dead set on going to the US, it's fine. But in case you decide to go to other countries (it's at least 2 years till you start applying to universities and a lot can change in 2 years), a lot of universities, especially better universities, do require HL math for engineering.

And on a side note, if you can't handle HL math, I don't think engineering would be a very good choice for you because obviously the math needed is way above HL math, and engineering is really not an easy course.

It depends on you. It depends on how much you enjoy each subject, what your aptitude for each subject is like, how much effort you're willing to put in, and how much you want to do well in it. For example, I hate science and quite like maths, so I would rank Maths HL as the easiest followed by Chem HL and then Physics HL. At my school nobody took Physics HL, while there were quite a few Chem HL students (10 maybe?) and 3 maths HL students. However, I've known people who've found Chem HL easier than maths, and I'm sure there's also some people who would find both sciences easier than Maths. It all depends on the individual - 'hardest' is a subjective term.

Also, you're really far away from your exams, and getting 'only 6' in maths right now actually sounds like you're doing decently in the course so far. You've got 2 years to improve. Nearly everyone starts off 'badly' in Maths before improving throughout the 2 year course.

I will say that I found Business HL super easy/definitely less time consuming then science and maths. But again, other people will disagree with me because individuals will find different things easier/harder. However, if you want to invest in your future and are definitely interested in engineering, then Maths HL seems like a more useful and helpful choice for the long-term.

Edited by bluedino
  • Like 3

Even if you want to apply to the US, you should take HL math if you're serious about engineering. At the best engineering schools, you will be at a disadvantage if you apply only with SL math because most applicants will have HL math or its equivalent depending on what program they studied. The level of math you do in engineering goes far beyond even what HL math covers, so getting the best exposure to it now is good. And if you can't handle SL math, you won't handle engineering.

A 6 right now is great, and you should take HL math.

I do all 3. Maths is definitely the hardest. It depends on how good you feel you are. Maths is challenging, but like Emmi said, if you seriously want to do engineering then go for it. However, here's something I seriously recommend - make sure you do A LOT of maths over the summer before IBDP. My algebra went so rusty over a long holiday and at the start I really struggled. I'm doing fine now, but I had to do a lot of practice. If you want it that bad, you'll work, and so I think you'll be fine. I don't know how hard MY maths is, but I assume it's the best possible start to IB maths. Admaths was relatively useful for me though.