Am I able to score a 7 just by studying from IB Economics Course Companion?

Title is pretty self explanatory

I will also be doing Paper 3 Exercises from the IB Skills and Practices book (published by Oxford). It's a dark blue book just to be specific

The IB Economics Course Companion I'm referring to is the blue one written by Jocelyn Blink and Ian Dorton

I will also be doing Paper 3 Exercises from the IB Skills and Practices book (published by Oxford). It's a dark blue book just to be specific

The IB Economics Course Companion I'm referring to is the blue one written by Jocelyn Blink and Ian Dorton

I'd definitely do practice papers (especially the May and Novemer 2013 ones and specimen papers) as well just to be on the safe side.

I'd definitely do practice papers (especially the May and Novemer 2013 ones and specimen papers) as well just to be on the safe side.

Yep

I've done most of the past papers. Saving the 2013 papers until it's closer to the exams.

I've just seen lots of people using the Cambridge books by Ellie Tragakes and imo, it's too detailed with a lot of unnecessary waffle

Answer: yep :P All the course companions cover the whole syllabus and therefore you should be able to score a 7 if you just learn the material in them properly. And of course do past papers, to make sure you can apply it. It might also be worth having a copy of the syllabus as you go through the course companion so you can be clear as to exactly what the learning outcomes are.

• Like 2

I only used the course companion and did fine. However, you do need to have tons of real world examples ready before finals.I think this is probably the difference between getting a 6 and a 7 (at least thats what my teacher said, and I used a bunch of real world examples in my final exams and managed a 7). I did Econ online and we had to comment on a bunch of news articles every week (mostly from bloomberg.com). Our teacher really made sure we had a lot of examples to use for our finals (from corporate social responsibility to multinational companies). The whole syllabus is covered in the course companion, but you are also required to be aware of what is happening in the world (it's Econs version of critical thinking).

Edited by Babydolleyes

I do not rely on course companion alone. I use three books to get better understanding on economics, which is

1) Jocelyn Blink and Dorton - I use this books to study concepts ,explanation as she easily explained it properly with examples. This is useful if you cannot digest concepts explained by harder books. A good book for revising before exams.

2) Tragakes: It gives definitions and explains concepts through Q&A format. This will help you to anticipate what will come in IB exams. However can be difficult to understand at times, but good book for definitions as well as understanding question format.

3) Matt Mc Gee - Very good book as it explains diagrams and concepts easily and this book had created my interest in economics. Minus point is that it is not good for last min preparation.

And besides books, read newspaper DAILY if you want 7. The examiners would like to see the latest examples in your answers like recent rise in inflation rate, trade sanctions on Russia etc.

Hope i helped you.

Edited by Black Bird Lockheed
  • Like 1