Self-study Economics SL?

In my school we were unfortunately not able to combine Physics HL and Economics SL so I can't take economics because it will interfere with my physics lessons, but since we have an economics teacher I thought that what if I can self-study economics SL because I really want to study that subject.

Is it doable to self-study economics or is it too hard?

Please help me.

Edited by Lynxarin

I find that social sciences are easier self studied than in a class room. I barely understand anything in economics class; i rely on my self-studying.

So yes, i believe you can handle economics SL on your own (if you really like it).

The microeconomics/macroeconomics bit isn't difficult at all. The rest needs a little bit of concentration.

I wouldn't endeavour to take Economics HL on my own if i were you though, the calculations can be a bit tricky.

I find that social sciences are easier self studied than in a class room. I barely understand anything in economics class; i rely on my self-studying.

So yes, i believe you can handle economics SL on your own (if you really like it).

The microeconomics/macroeconomics bit isn't difficult at all. The rest needs a little bit of concentration.

I wouldn't endeavour to take Economics HL on my own if i were you though, the calculations can be a bit tricky.

Thanks for your good answer. I would really like to study economics because otherwise I will have to go for SL chemistry and I do not really like chemistry so much so I would prefer self-studying economics instead since I also have a lot more motivation for doing that instead of struggling with chemistry.

I will talk to my ib coordinator and see if it is really decided that they cannot provide physics and economics at the same time in. IF he perhaps has found a solution until monday then I can of course study with the others who chose economics. But that is not possible I will self-study it if I am allowed to do so.

I see you study Economics SL, would you say it is a hard or easy subject? And do you enjoy studying economics?

Haha, personally i detest chemistry so I can see why you wouldn't want to take the subject. You could always go for Design Technology instead of chemistry, it's a lot funner and comprehensive.

Anyway, Economics is a relatively easy subject to be honest but one that needs constant studying, meaning you can't choose to neglect it for a month and hope that you don't forget everything (cause let me tell you, there's ALOT to memorise). I do enjoy studying economics but the essay writing can be a bit tedious since you're merely repeating all the information you were taught. I'd pay close attention to the economics internals if i were you, they're tricky.

Personally I absolutely adore economics as a subject but our teacher isn't that.. well, I wouldn't call her "bad" but she's quite boring. I don't enjoy economics classes with her which is why i rely on my own studying.

Anyway, i think you should make your choice depending on what you plan on studying in university; some universities value chemistry more than economics for specific majors. I'd do some research before making my choice if i were you.

Haha, personally i detest chemistry so I can see why you wouldn't want to take the subject. You could always go for Design Technology instead of chemistry, it's a lot funner and comprehensive.

Anyway, Economics is a relatively easy subject to be honest but one that needs constant studying, meaning you can't choose to neglect it for a month and hope that you don't forget everything (cause let me tell you, there's ALOT to memorise). I do enjoy studying economics but the essay writing can be a bit tedious since you're merely repeating all the information you were taught. I'd pay close attention to the economics internals if i were you, they're tricky.

Personally I absolutely adore economics as a subject but our teacher isn't that.. well, I wouldn't call her "bad" but she's quite boring. I don't enjoy economics classes with her which is why i rely on my own studying.

Anyway, i think you should make your choice depending on what you plan on studying in university; some universities value chemistry more than economics for specific majors. I'd do some research before making my choice if i were you.

Okay, well I don't like the chemistry lab raports so that's one of the reasons I don't want to study it. But I will send a message to my IB coordinator and see if self-studying Economics is possible or if they have found a way to provide both economics and physics at the same time.

If you are allowed to self study, then go for it! Economics SL is probably the easiest Social Science class to self study. All the explanations you need are in the textbook. You do need to be self-motivated, because Economics can sometimes be quite boring.

If you are allowed to self study, then go for it! Economics SL is probably the easiest Social Science class to self study. All the explanations you need are in the textbook. You do need to be self-motivated, because Economics can sometimes be quite boring.

yeah because as I said earlier I'm a lot more motivated to self-study economics sl than being forced to take french b sl or chemistry sl since I'm not so good at any of them but that' smy only alternatives If i cannot self-study economics. But I will message the IB Coordinator tomorrow and see what he thinks about the idea and if I am allowed to do so.

• 7 months later...