IB Options (Suggestions needed)

biotonic

I'm going to take the IBDP course next school year (Y12/Junior Year) but I'm still having some trouble deciding what subjects I should be taking.

I want to go towards the Psychology/Neuroscience/Pharmacology direction as major in university.

I heard that apparently you need Math HL and/or Biology HL if you want to major Psychology in university?

Anyways, below are the choice of subjects I'm considering:

Group 1 - English A Literature SL

Group 2 - Chinese A Language and Literature SL

Group 3 - Psychology HL or Economics/Business&Management SL

Group 4 - Biology HL

Group 5 - Maths HL

Group 6 - Chemistry SL/HL

I'm definitely sure about my Group 1 & 2 subjects but I'm having problems deciding on the rest.

Would it be better if I have the subjects that are completely relevant to what I want to major in college? Or should I do something different to keep my options open (Econ/Business&Mang SL)

The thing is I want to do 3 HL and 3 SL subjects, so if I take Psych HL I wouldn't want to do Chem HL, and if I choose Econ/Bus SL, I have to do Chem HL (there's nothing else I want to take).

I've also asked some juniors in my school who are currently in IB and I heard Chem HL is quite challenging, and that the Psychology teachers in my school aren't really good at teaching the subject.

Wow sorry for that long passage right there, I just wanted some suggestions of your opinion on my Group 3, 4 and 6 subjects, and what you think I should take ._. Some extra information on what you do in these subjects would definitely be helpful as well! I'd really appreciate it if people can reply, I need to submit my options next Friday!

Seems like you already have a rough idea of what you want, however I do want to remind you that what you want to do in university tends to change, particularly in your final years of HS.

I have never heard of Psychology requiring Math HL, maybe you should check your sources? Math HL is quite demanding and perhaps you don't need that. If you do SL, that would give you more time to either self-study Psychology if your teachers aren't that good or going over Chem stuff.

I don't do Chemistry or Psychology so I can't really offer any advice on that. I've only heard that Psychology in IB is quite different from other high school Psychology courses as IB focuses more on theories (?) Any psych alumni please correct me! I do think that Psychology would be beneficial for you if you want to major in Psychology in uni, but it may not be essential to have Psychology as it is not that of a common course that high schools offer.

If you have set your mind on sciences, don't take bus man or economics; but if you want to keep your options open i would say take economics as people generally regard it as one of the "hard' subject, as opposed to bus man being quite 'soft'. (Though i disagree, but that's for another completely different discussion)

I suggest you talk to your teachers as well, get a feel of what IB psychology, chemistry, economics and business management is all about so you can make a more informed decision and not just based on what your friends say or what i say.

Cheers!

• Like 1