Probably asked a billion times but I really need a sense of direction for my Mathematics HL IA

al84

Hey guys,

I really need help with discerning a specific IA topic. I'm worried about the fact that the syllabus has limited me to topics that are exclusive to the HL syllabus... and also about the fact that our class hasn't covered big topics like Vectors (skipped Topic 4 entirely) and Topic 6. I still have a variety of options, but I was wondering if you guys could help me narrow down my topic.

My ideas thus far are:

1. Vieta's Formula proof (sum of roots of a polynomial, product of roots). Problem with this one is that I have no idea how to fulfill Criterion C & D; where does this formula get applied beyond simple algebraic questions?

2. I was considering the study of biorhythms and other trigonometric curves that are observable in nature, although it seems like I'd lose marks in Criterion E; not complex enough?

3. I was legitimately considering a study of twitchplayspokemon (I know, pretty stupid) and all the possible actions that can be taken on each step of the journey. For those of you who don't know twitchplayspokemon is run on twitch.tv which generally livestreams games. This particular channel runs Pokemon Red on an emulator and gains button inputs from the chat. Which means that every viewer effectively becomes a player. There is data on the most frequent button inputs, and each button pressed is logged. I don't think this would do very well; I'd have to take up a lot of space to explain the system itself, and the maths aren't very complicated.

4. Bayes Theorem and its use for 3 events (because the syllabus in math HL requires that there are beyond 2 events considered), in situations like Amanda Knox's court case.

This thing isn't due until May 20th but the proposal for which topic I will study is due in less than a week. Could anybody help? Thanks in advance!

To take a look at your ideas, all the concerns you have are pertinent. Hence, I would favor Bayes' theorem and its practical application in 3-event cases. Note that Bayes' theorem isn't a part of the SL syllabus - the 3-event condition is a maximum, not a minimum, and Bayes' with two events is still HL.

Edited by Rahul