University help please!

dennisalex833

Hi!!

i am presently doing my grade 12 in Dia(dubai)..i plan 2 do mining geology(b.eng) from one of the top universities in the us ,uk or canda...i have chose math, phy and chemistry as my higher level subjects!!! what are the other requirements?? is higher level required??? what shld i do to get into one of the top 15 universities of the world?? what marks or grades should i secure??? i would be very much grateful if you could provide me with the required informations...my email id is Don't post email publicly on the forum

tanx

Hey,

Let's start with the UK. First of all, you'll need a top notch personal statement for your UCAS application explaining why you're the best. Use the search function if you're unaware of what a personal statement is like. If you're interested in top15 world unis, the UK unis you'd consider are Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College. However, I'm not sure whether all of these offer mining geology. For entrance, you'd probably be looking at 7-7-6 or 7-6-6 in your HL subjects, with a total score of about 38-41. I believe that for the aforementioned unis, your subject choices are more than appropriate if you're able to deal with the immense workload. HL Mathematics is definitely irreplacable, but I believe you could have either Chemistry or Physics as SL, and your subject combination would still be suitable.

I'm not that familiar with US universities, but top universities would include MIT, Berkeley and Yale. For the US, though, your IB grades aren't enough, you also need to take the SAT test or, alternatively, the ACT test. Furthermore, these universities expect you to have a vast and appropriate range of extracurricular activities that preferrably are at least partially related with the course of your choice. However, as I said, I'm no expert when it comes to American universities, so you'll want to get a second opinion on what I just said.

hey,

tanx 4 that..btw wast sort of grades do u require for admission into M.I.T??? also wats Sat scores do u require??? besides that does M.I.T have any other admission Test??? What extra curricular activities are they looking at when they scrutinise the application forms??

For MIT it'll basically be your predicted grades since it's an American uni, you'll want to have a 7-7-7 or a 7-7-6. However, American universities are very unpredictable and perfect grades don't guarantee admission. You'll also obviously want top SAT scores, but even a top score won't get you in. In other words, a bad score will make sure you can't get in, but a top score won't help you. In other words, it's impossible to give an exact SAT score. About the ECs, I'm sure an American can answer.

If you're applying for Sep '10, the applications will be released in Sep '09.

I'm not an expert on American universities, but they do not base their decision on predicted grades, but rather on the your standardized test scores, which are namely the SAT I, SAT II and ACT. You will need near perfect scores and a large variety of extra curricular activities to boost your application to the respective universities.

They basically need to like your package, and it helps if you're of a minority race or the first person to go to university in your family. Neither a perfect IB score or a perfect SAT score can guarantee your admission to a university.

On a more serious note, if you're going to write your application essays in the way you write on this forum, you can guess where your application will end up.

How's life in Emaar? :)

• Like 1

they are all right on the american univeersityies. for the top schools you need reall good SAT I and SAT II scores. they usually perfer the SATs over the ACT, but taking both never hurt anyone (i took both). you need to show leadership skills, participation in your school, good GPA and class rank (although you may not have a GPA depending on your school), and you need to do very well on you IB exams, just as Dessi said. you can prolly get away with a couple 6s, but they are very picky over your IB scores. sometimes they will give you college credit for scoring well on the IB exam. you will need to prove fluency in english (they have even made US citizens take this exam before) - TOEFL. they you need to fill out thier applications and write a good essay. sometimes they will even ask for recommendations. usually one to three recomendations. Aboo is right n the minority or first of you family thing. schools in the states have to have a certain amout of srudents from certain races and countries. (i think it is based on their own standard how many peopl they have from different places... they like to brag and say"oh well 10% of our students come from X,Y and Z").

you asked about extacarriculars (now remember that i didn't apply to any Iveys.. i am going to a nice small state school), but when i began high school (my last two years of MYP) i had a ton of ECs then once i was in IB i slacked a little in thei department. i worte up a resume so i could see them all, and on the resume i worte out the clubs that i was in (i would have put sports too if i was althletic). they i listed out the years i participated in the culb, and and officer positions i held.

so for clubs i wrote:

Spanish Club (11-12)

Future Business Leaders of America (12)

Mu Alpha Theta (9-11)

Florida Math League (9-11)

Continental Math League (9-11)

American High School Math Examination (9)

International Baccalaureate Student Organization (9-11) Sergeant at Arms (11)

Art Association (11) Treasurer (11)

Jewelry Club (11) President (11) (i would have also noted that i made this club)

Teen Connect (10)

Pep Club (10) Secretary (10)

Key Club (9-10)

NHS (12)

then i would have noted the award that i had been awarded:

FACS (Family and Consumer Science)Award

Lettered in Academics (11-12)

Honor Roll (11-12)

Recognition for completing the Middle Years Program

Sophomore project (2004-2005)

Mu Alpha Theta geometry team second place (2004)

then i also noted the community service that i had particpated in:

Teach beginner skate lessons at Galaxy Skateway in North Lauderdale (2006)

Relay for Life (2004-2005)

Teacher assistant for Sunday School at the name of my Church(2004-2006)

Deerfield Beach - Beach Clean Up (2005)

Letter of recognition for donating over $150 to Gateway Community Outreach Center, Deerfield Beach (2005)

International Baccalaureate Freshman Picnic (2005-2006)

Key Club sponsored Halloween Party at Kids in Distress. (2004)

in all of these it is important to show a contiuation if at all possible. it shows a commitment that all of uni's are looking for. most of these things were for CAS, so it was nice.

the unis want to see who you are. there is no way to gaurentee a sopt in any of these unis though. they change they way they addmit students all the time, and they want the best of the best, but not just the brainiac. you need to show that you are a well rounded student. then unis should understand what IB is, and they usually respect it very well, but it all depends on the uni. make sure your predicted grades are good when you apply, and that your esay is flwless (no grammer mistakes, flows well, loks like you put time into it, etc.)

tell me if ther is anything else you want to know.