Assignments in AB

Awi

I am taking French Ab. My teacher mention recently a written task. I tried to ask her what it is but she just said don't worry you still have a year even though I just wanted to know what we nee to do like is there a IA and what kind of exams are we going to do. Could somebody tell me what kind of "things" we have to do for the Ab course. Appreciate help

For the ab initio course, you'll have a written assignment were you will bring in at least 2 sources (print off a webpage etc.) in the language you are studying (i.e. french - you can bring in English ones as extra) about a topic you have chosen yourself, comparing and contrasting that particular topic to (in your case) a french speaking country and the one you live in (i.e. an English speaking country). E.g. I compared the food in Spain to the food in England.

You will also have to do an oral examination with your teacher, just about the topics you cover in class (we did the individual, education & work, town and services, food & drink, leisure and travel, health and emergencies, and the environment). You will get a picture about one of those topics (e.g. children in a classroom) which you will have to talk about for 2 minutes and you teacher will then ask you questions about the picture, to ensure you use all the tenses (e.g. what the children will do after the lesson etc.) Then you will get 2 questions about the written assignment and they will be 2 of the following: What is your written assignment about? What did you learn? What surprised you the most? Then the questions that follow will range from 2 other topics from the ones studied. The total time for the oral presentation is approximately 10 minutes.

For the exams, you have 2 papers. In paper 1 you have 2 sections: A & B. Section A is a short writing task (60 words) and section B is a longer writing task (120 words). In both sections you get an option between 2 or 3 questions, and you choose one from each section. The writing tasks range in different styles and forms which you must practice in class, e.g. advert, email, article, blog, diary, interview, leaflet or a letter. Paper 2 is a reading paper (4 texts) which you answer questions set in different, styles such as: matching a title to a paragraph, identifying synonyms, identifying whether statements are true or false (and sometimes you have to justify this with a quote from the text), etc.

The most important thing to do is learn the tenses and vocab and you're set to go! Good Luck! :)

Edited by sameera95