Visual Arts Theme

stressedfromIB

I'm taking visual arts option A HL, and i'm a senior so it's my last year, & it's almost over. So, I had a theme at the beginning of the year but a month ago I decided that I don't want to have a specific theme as it limited me a lot & eventually I found myself struggling to design new pieces. my question is, does not having a theme make your grade lower? Cause my art teacher constantly tells us to revolve our pieces around one topic so we can make all of them relate together at the end, but i find it really hard to have a theme & try to connect them all.

Personally, I think IB Visual Arts is all about the "idea", not the painting itself. You don't have to be super talented with art skills, and the most important thing to have is the creative idea. In order to clearly present your idea, you must have the theme that relates to you. I'm not a native english speaker so you might not get what I mean.. i'm sorry for that. What I'm trying to say is, IB art focuses on conceptual art, so I think it's very important for you to have a specific theme so that you can show the audience how you developed your idea, and how the idea originated from. Thanks!