Guest Skyrior

You're doing HL Further but not HL Maths? Didn't know that was possible.

For the set works the best way is to analyze them before the exam and listen to them at least 120 times in 3 months before the exam. You are not given the recording during the exam. Memorize key sections so you know where to flip the page to during the exam.

For composition, unfortunately it depends on either: (i) your natural ability, or (ii) hard work. If you don't have a certain natural aptitude for composition, I suggest you stick to more traditional methods as sonata forms etc.

For performance, expression and communication are more vital than technical proficiency (there isn't even a criteria for that). If you are at Grade 8, for example, do a Grade 6 or 7 piece. You won't get marked down but you will be able to spend more time tackling the interpretation of the piece and not on just trying to play it without errors.

• 2 weeks later...

For the set works the best way is to analyze them before the exam and listen to them at least 120 times in 3 months before the exam. You are not given the recording during the exam. Memorize key sections so you know where to flip the page to during the exam.

For composition, unfortunately it depends on either: (i) your natural ability, or (ii) hard work. If you don't have a certain natural aptitude for composition, I suggest you stick to more traditional methods as sonata forms etc.

For performance, expression and communication are more vital than technical proficiency (there isn't even a criteria for that). If you are at Grade 8, for example, do a Grade 6 or 7 piece. You won't get marked down but you will be able to spend more time tackling the interpretation of the piece and not on just trying to play it without errors.

Typo! Thanks for letting me know, I'm not doing Further haha!

Yes I totally agree! Memorising key points in both pieces are key as time is limited :) Also listening to world music from all cultures helps, as it opens your mind to new harmonies and rhythms. They will help for the Unprepared part of the exam! :P

Ah composition, you either love it or you don't. I think a smart way around it is probably basing the structure of your piece on the structure of some brilliant piece by a famous composer (obviously don't copy chord by chord, that's plagiarising. Just the macro structure!), and then follow this structure. Chances are, your piece will probably turn out just as brilliant as the other piece you've based it on.

Yep! I'm playing a Haydn concerto which is slightly easier for me technically so it's great! Performance is still hard despite being able to record over and over again, I always stuff up in the middle or in a random area. :confused:

• 5 weeks later...

For the set works, we've been told not to memorise much of it, but instead have been taught how to find features when it comes to the exam. I guess it's a didn't way of teaching, but according to ib often many students just memorise and don't look at their shoes during the exam, meaning that many of their answers include lots of examples (great) but ones that aren't actually relevant to the question in the exam! Of course there are always going things to memorise- the quotations in yrc for example- but it's important not to rely solely on your memory I think!
I'm so glad I choose sl and don't have to do composition! I've never done it before and I don't think now is the time to start really! as far as performance is concerned, I really agree- I play flute and piano to grade 7 but choose to do grade 4/5 pieces in my exam and still got a solid 6 :)

Edited by Koura

• 1 month later...

Wait a minute, we're not given the recording for the exam?

In every mock at school the recordings were provided. Also, we were told they will be given during the final too! :o

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...