Economics VS Psychology

Guest wanderluster

Guest wanderluster

I'm trying to choose between SL Economics and SL Psychology. I'd like to go into either a social science or something in ethics. I'm not a math or science person by any means, but economics might be beneficial if I go into politics or the like. I've heard great things about the psychology course, and I think it would interest me more. My school doesn't have the best course selection, at least for my interests, but this is what I'm looking at taking.

HL English

HL History

HL Chemistry ( I have to take chemistry or physics at higher level to meet requirements)

SL Math

SL French

SL Economics or Psychology

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi! Looking at your subject combination it would be best if you choose psychology since, I am an HL student of the same. Also, SL psych is pretty easy to crack, though the core topics will be the same. If you really find human sciences interesting, then go for it cause Eco requires a lot of mathematical skills to be involved apart from the theory. Also, in pysch SL your ia's will be the easiest!

anyways, best of luck! :imoff:

• 2 weeks later...

Being a HL history student and a HL economics student I would suggest that you take economics over psychology. Economics SL lacks any kind of mathematics, the only math found in Economics is in HL, the rest is just theory for SL. I found economic theory to be very helpful whilst doing my history papers. specifically with paper 1(depending on which bullet point you get) , paper 2 topic : causes, practices and effects of wars and paper 3 topic: The Great Depression and the Americas 1929-39. From knowing how difficult it is to study for HL history the additional knowledge gained in Economics was helpful.

However, I am taking route 2 ; Peacemaking, peacekeeping—international relations 1918–36 ; Causes, practices and effects of wars; The Cold War; with HL option Aspects of the history of the Americas; The Great Depression and the Americas 1929-39; Political developments in the Americas after the Second World

War 1945-79; The Cold War and the Americas 1945-1981.
Just a suggestion, but I hope it help
Edited by Troy.nelson.95

If I were you I would drop History all together and go for four HL's with Psych and Econ both at HL :P But then again, thats just me..

I could never choose between Econ and Psych <3 They both taught me such different thins, I could never recommend one over the other. I'm in fact heading into a bachelor programme incorporating economics and politics (International Business & Politics) and during my electives I'm opting for psychology..

Psychology is SO interesting and I feel like Econ should be compulsory for everyone.. The difference between Psych HL and SL is not that big, but the difference between HL and SL Economics is pretty HUGE. So keep that in mind. You should just go for Economics HL and Psych SL :D

Hahaha I wish I could just change your subject selection! But of course, History is a valuable course too! Don't get me wrong. I highly doubt you will regret your decision no matter what you do.

Good luck with your decision!