What is the IOP and IOC?

ibfederer

My exams are in 3 months, and we still have not done the IOP and IOC. But most importantly, what is the IOP and IOC? Oh, and also, what is the WL? So many abbreviations! How should these be done and when? Unfortunately, my English teacher is new and does not know much about IB.

We are also supposed to do 4 written tasks, 2 of which we already did last year - what is this part of?

As far as I understand, in Language A1 there is the IOC, IOP and the written tasks in English, in addition to the IB Exams.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Edited by ibfederer

Hi,

the IB Lit A1 syllabus consists of a few different modules:

The IOP, or individual oral presentation, is a 10-15 minute presentation you give to the class about a topic in one of the texts you've studied for that section. You should have 3 or 4 texts to chose from, and can address the presentation in a lot of different ways- it can be analytic, a piece of drama, a monologue as one of the characters in the texts etc. I'm doing one character, Lady Bracknell from Wilde's 'the Importance of Being Earnest', and formatting the presentation as a court case evaluating whether or not she's just a scapegoat for societal commentary in the play. The IOP's worth 15% if your final grade.

The IOC, individual oral commentary, consists for HL Lit students of about 20 minutes prep time in which you get given a poem you've studied, followed by a 8-10 minute presentation on that poem you do alone to a teacher or examiner. That's followed also for HL by a 10-minute interactive discussion with your teacher on another text you've studied. It's worth 15%.

The WA, or Written Assignment, is an in-depth essay analyzing one feature, factor, theme or whatever in one of the texts you've studied. You should be working with your teacher and handing in plenty of drafts to make sure that's on point. It also includes a short reflective statement on class-wide interactive orals you should have done with your class on each of the texts you studied. It's worth 25% of your grade.

And finally, of course, there's the 2 exams, which make up the other 45% of your grade.

I recommend you look at a copy of the IB syllabus for English lit, and at examples of IOPs and IOCs (the former can be found on youtube) to get an idea of what you should be doing.

Hope that helps!

• Like 3