Four Higher Levels

OnionBitch

So I will be starting the IB next year and have started selecting my subjects, but I am debating whether or not to keep the four higher levels I want to take. Ideally, I would go into film someday.

English Lit HL
Psychology HL
Theatre Arts HL

Chemistry HL

French B SL

Maths SL

The thing with Chemistry is that (despite many people finding me weird for saying so) I really genuinely enjoy Chemistry and want to learn much more about it. As for Psychology, I believe it could really help me regardless of my career choice and whilst I'm doing it now for IGCSE I find it really interesting. I know that Theatre Arts are very, very difficult for those without real talent but I have been taking Drama for years and am aware of the commitment it would require me to make. Is it worth it to take four higher levels?

Four higher levels are doable and you should definitely give it a try because you can always drop one if it gets too hard. On the other hand chemistry is NOT at all necessary or even remotely relevant to film. Taking chemistry HL will only lower your total score. However if you say you have a real interest for the subject go for it! Maybe exploring chemistry in more depth will make you change your mind about the future. Theatre arts is a good subjects to take for film studies and will show that you are a well rounded person that is interested in arts and academic subjects. Universities will not give a huge amount of attention to your four HL but it will show that you can handle your workload and you challenge yourself (if you end up gutting good grades). My advice: only take four higher levels if:

1. you are really passionate about all the subjects you take at HL

2.you wish to apply to top universities where there is tough competition and where 4 HL can be a plus on your application

Edited by emmapatregnani