English Written Task 2: Question 2 URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Hi,

I'm currently working on my Written Task 2 and have chosen question two as my question for analysis: If the text had been written in a different time or place or language or for a different audience, how and why might it differ?

I've seen varying examples online in which the student bases his/her answer on either a) one criterion only (eg. focuses specifically on a different TIME/era) or b) answers all criteria (albeit producing much shorter, simpler analysis). The question is vague in the sense that all criteria are separated by "or", so I do not know how the IBO wants me to approach this question or even the best way to do it.

I'd appreciate specific feedback or good WT2 examples! Thank you!

Edited by sumaiya36

This may confuse more than enlighten, but then nothing is totally straightforward -- or that complicated either if you are prepared to accept that our ways of dividing things up are kind of arbitrary (you learnt that in TOK anyway).

So to answer your question:.

*****All criteria may apply; or just one or two; or one only ***

It depends on your

i) choosing to concentrate on one of these, either through personal choice (you have plenty to say about the subject) or because the text lends itself particularly well to that one criterion.

ii) following the logical implication: if the text is read at a different time or time/place, then by implication the audience will be different too. You can still concentrate on any *one* of these (place or time or audience) but you would find yourself referring to the other two, somewhere.

Much depends on the text you have in hand. For example, in French A1: Lit. it makes perfect sense with Camus' "L'Etranger" to consider how an Algerian audience (contemporary to Camus's writing) might have read and responded to representations of the Arab, differently to a an ordinary French (white, mainland) audience.

Maybe this helps.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2