Making 1.0M HCl from 6.0M HCl?

LumosEcho

Hi guys, this is probably a really simple question but I'm absolutely terrible at chemistry...(thank goodness I'm in SL).

How do you make 1.0M of HCl from 6.0M HCl?

We're doing our design labs and I'm testing the effect of concentration on the reaction time between HCl and calcium carbonate. My teacher quickly explained before we started on how to create different concentrations, mentioning ratios and water, but I didn't catch all of it. In my experiment I started off with 12mL of 6.0M HCl. The other concentrations I'm using are 4.0M, 3.0M, 2.0M, and 1.0M. So I used ratios as my teacher said to make 1.0M using 2mL of the 6.0M HCl and added 10mL of water. I'm thinking that this is incorrect because I used my own supposed "1.0M" HCl as well as the one my teacher provided us with, and got drastically different reaction times.

I honestly have no idea about the "concentrations" I made, because the rest of the results for my first trial were really strange (2.0M turned out to be the fastest somehow). Also my math skills are questionable lol..

Any help would be great!

if you have 6M and you want a lesser concentrated solution, you can serially dilute the solution. this means keep adding amounts of water until it is dilated to 1M. More information on the volume of solution you are using is needed but if we assume you 6 moles of HCl in 1000cm3 of water, then you need to add 5000cm3 of water so that you M = 1.= (M=n/volume). Or you could extract a smaller solution of that HCL and add less water. Hope this helps

• Like 1

For dilution, use the formula c1v1=c2v2, where c is concentration, v is volume, and the labels 1 and 2 refer to undiluted and diluted solutions respectively. In this case, a sample calculation would be as follows: 6 M * 2 mL = 1 M * x mL. Hence, x is 12 mL, which is the volume of the second solution needed. Hence, one would add 10 mL of distilled water to make up that concentration.

• Like 1