Top Universities' Opinion on ITGS (and ESS)?

iteerlink

Hi,

I'm currently finalizing my IB choices for the coming two years, and am considering ITGS as one of my HL's.

However after speaking to my counsellor, she mentioned something about how Ivy League's and other top universities aren't too keen on that nor Environmental Systems Studies SL as a science. Is this correct?

As the title suggests, I'm quite curious on what the top/competitive universities' opinions are on ITGS and ESS for that matter. Any feedback would be amazingly helpful!

Thanks

Edited by iteerlink

"Challenge" is a relative term. Something I find easy may be challenging for you, something you find easy can be pretty much impossible for me. Focus on getting good grades and do awesome extracurriculars that are related to your prospective field of study. Everything will be alright.
And btw like 1% of the candidates taking ITGS get a 7. 1 in 100. That sounds "challenging" :P

Edited by Zarathustra
  • Like 1

To be honest I think the low % of 7s in ITGS is mostly due to the fact that the teachers don't really know how to teach it properly for exams. My school had a 100% record of 7s in ITGS. It's probably worth finding out how well students do at your school because to be honest, ITGS isn't hard it's just a weird mixture of TOK-like BS with actual factual knowledge and it confuses a lot of students literally just because of that.

It's true that ITGS and ESS are seen as soft subjects (in the UK anyway), however unless you're applying to study a scientific pursuit or are aiming for something where you need three required subjects at HL, the difference it's going to make is probably pretty minimal. Especially as many Universities don't really know what ITGS/ESS are, and for all they know ITGS could be a genuine computer science course and ESS just some weird wing of pure Biology!

The big question is really what you want to apply for at Uni. Many people (but not everyone) choose HLs which leave a few doors open so they can make up their mind about Uni applications during the two years, or where the third HL is something they have few concerns about in terms of achieving a 7. For instance, I did HL English alongside two sciences - in case I ever wanted to apply to study Law so I had an essay based subject at HL, and because English was my easiest subject, so it was win-win :P It meant I could concentrate on my sciences 100% at exam time in the knowledge that English wasn't going to throw my marks. Also as it requires no revision to speak of, it was very useful to me in freeing up time for other subjects. You can definitely use the third choice wisely, if you need to. It's always worth thinking about these things because they can make a big difference.

I took ESS SL, and I was admitted to a top university in US. I did not apply to any Ivy.

I don't think US universities actually look at what subjects you choose if you do IB Diploma. They see IBDP as a rigorous curriculum, and that's all that matters to them.

I'm not entirely sure about the UK, but don't UK universities mostly focus on the results of your HL subjects and your total score? So what subjects you choose at SL matters less to them?

In that regards, you need to choose your HL wisely, like what Sandwich said. Why choose ITGS at HL? What do you hope to major in? You can check out the requirements for various majors that you're interested in.